Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM
VL Chowdary

Default How to find core utlility implementation (source code) file in Linux kernel ?

Hi,
This is VL Chowdary, a software engineer in Bangalore,India.I am currently working on a project that deals with "Creation of Postmortem data log file on Linux platform".
The project is on Fedora 12 with Kernel2.6.31.5 version.*For that i need following things.
* * * *1. Find the location of core utility in the kernel.* * * *2. Find *the source file that consists of actual implementation of the core utility (On Fedora's kernel 2.6.31.5)
* * * *3. Based on that i want to implement a core file with my own project requirements.* * * *4. Build the kernel with the above implemented corefile replacing the existing one.
* * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *I went through many documents and they were saying that core file generated location is in : * * * * * * */proc/sys/kernel.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Is it correct?.*I couldn't get the source file that contains the implementation of core utility.
Please help in the project for further proceedings.*Advance thanks to all repliers.

Thank you,vlc

Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
"Tipu ."

Hi VL,

Take a look on http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash_whitepaper/#SRC_RPM.

Regards,
Tipu

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM
"Bouchard, Louis ((GCC - Linux))"

Hello VLC,
*
Since I don’t have a direct email to you, I’ll reply to the list. Sorry for the noise to others.
*
You might want to look at the project that I’m working on here : http://crashdc.sourceforge.net
*
It does do post-mortem data collection and can be automated quite easily.
*
Let me know if you need any information.
*
Kind regards,
*
…Louis