Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
tom anderson

Default core file contents

*

I have two different core files generated from two different kernels.** I noticed one contains all segments

*

crash> sym -m dpm_kstat

ffffffffa00c4000 MODULE START: my_kstat

ffffffffa00c5290 (t) kstat_numrange_create
ffffffffa00c55a0 (r) __func__.41073

ffffffffa00c5ddb (r) __kstrtab_kstat_numrange_iter_init
ffffffffa00c5e60 (d) dprintflevel_kstat

ffffffffa00c5f40 (d) __this_module
ffffffffa00c61a0 (b) kstat_spinlock

ffffffffa00c6e5e MODULE END: my_kstat

*

*

while the other contains only text segments.* Is there some define in the kernel config or in core file generation which causes this?

*

*

crash> sym -m dpm_kstat
ffffffffa00b9000 MODULE START: dpm_kstat
ffffffffa00b9000 (t) kstat_cmd_gettbl
ffffffffa00b9930 (t) kstat_exit
ffffffffa00b9930 (t) cleanup_module
ffffffffa00b9a20 (t) kstat_init
ffffffffa00b9a20 (t) init_module
ffffffffa00b9bb0 (t) kstat_unregister_provider
ffffffffa00b9c90 (t) kstat_register_provider
ffffffffa00b9dc0 (t) kstat_numrange_dprintf
ffffffffa00b9fa0 (t) kstat_numrange_match
ffffffffa00b9fe0 (t) kstat_numrange_iter_init
ffffffffa00ba060 (t) kstat_numrange_destroy
ffffffffa00ba0a0 (t) kstat_numrange_addentry
ffffffffa00ba1e0 (t) kstat_numrange_create
ffffffffa00bb5af MODULE END: dpm_kstat

*

Thanks,

Thomas

*

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "tom anderson" <xentoma@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have two different core files generated from two different kernels.
> I noticed one contains all segments
>
> crash> sym -m dpm_kstat
> ffffffffa00c4000 MODULE START: my_kstat
> ffffffffa00c5290 (t) kstat_numrange_create
> ffffffffa00c55a0 (r) __func__.41073
> ffffffffa00c5ddb (r) __kstrtab_kstat_numrange_iter_init
> ffffffffa00c5e60 (d) dprintflevel_kstat
> ffffffffa00c5f40 (d) __this_module
> ffffffffa00c61a0 (b) kstat_spinlock
> ffffffffa00c6e5e MODULE END: my_kstat
>

> while the other contains only text segments. Is there some define in
> the kernel config or in core file generation which causes this?
>

> crash> sym -m dpm_kstat
> ffffffffa00b9000 MODULE START: dpm_kstat
> ffffffffa00b9000 (t) kstat_cmd_gettbl
> ffffffffa00b9930 (t) kstat_exit
> ffffffffa00b9930 (t) cleanup_module
> ffffffffa00b9a20 (t) kstat_init
> ffffffffa00b9a20 (t) init_module
> ffffffffa00b9bb0 (t) kstat_unregister_provider
> ffffffffa00b9c90 (t) kstat_register_provider
> ffffffffa00b9dc0 (t) kstat_numrange_dprintf
> ffffffffa00b9fa0 (t) kstat_numrange_match
> ffffffffa00b9fe0 (t) kstat_numrange_iter_init
> ffffffffa00ba060 (t) kstat_numrange_destroy
> ffffffffa00ba0a0 (t) kstat_numrange_addentry
> ffffffffa00ba1e0 (t) kstat_numrange_create
> ffffffffa00bb5af MODULE END: dpm_kstat

I'm not exactly sure.

Typically if you display the module contents by getting the module
address from the "mod" command output, and dump it like so:

crash> module <address>

the "num_symtab" field will be roughly equal to the symbol count:

crash> mod | grep ext4
ffffffffa020e260 ext4 353979 (not loaded) [CONFIG_KALLSYMS]
crash> module.num_symtab ffffffffa020e260
num_symtab = 1080,
crash> sym -m ext4 | wc -l
1081
crash>

When you do the "mod" command on the two different kernels,
does it show "[CONFIG_KALLSYMS" on the end of each module's
line? If not, that may have something to do with it.

And if you run the "mod" command to load the debuginfo
data of that module, it's possible that a subsequent
"sym -m <module>" command may show additional symbols.

Dave

Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
tom anderson

Dave,

Thanks for your response.* Just in case anyone else hits the same problem.* The more recent kernel built was built with CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y but* CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL was not set.* Setting CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL=y solved the problem.

-Thomas