Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Per Fransson

Default spanned vs. present

Hi,

I'm wondering why kmem -f uses the spanned pages of every zone when
reporting its size. Wouldn't it be more informative to get a value
which excludes any holes?

This is the code from memory.c I'm thinking of:

/*
* Same as dump_free_pages_zones_v1(), but updated for numerous 2.6 zone
* and free_area related data structure changes.
*/
static void
dump_free_pages_zones_v2(struct meminfo *fi)
{
[...]
if (VALID_MEMBER(zone_spanned_pages))
zone_size_offset = OFFSET(zone_spanned_pages);
else
error(FATAL, "zone struct has no spanned_pages field
");
[...]
}

Regards,
Per

Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Per Fransson" <per.fransson.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering why kmem -f uses the spanned pages of every zone when
> reporting its size. Wouldn't it be more informative to get a value
> which excludes any holes?
>
> This is the code from memory.c I'm thinking of:
>
> /*
> * Same as dump_free_pages_zones_v1(), but updated for numerous 2.6 zone
> * and free_area related data structure changes.
> */
> static void
> dump_free_pages_zones_v2(struct meminfo *fi)
> {
> [...]
> if (VALID_MEMBER(zone_spanned_pages))
> zone_size_offset = OFFSET(zone_spanned_pages);
> else
> error(FATAL, "zone struct has no spanned_pages field
");
> [...]
> }

You can get the present pages with "kmem -z".

Dave

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Per Fransson

> You can get the present pages with "kmem -z".
>
> Dave

Ok. Thanks.

/Per