FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Crash Utility

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default crash utility: add ARM crashdump support

----- "Mika Westerberg" <ext-mika.1.westerberg@nokia.com> wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> First of all, thanks for the great tool! It is the best post-mortem analysis
> tool I've ever used.
>
> This series implements ARM support for the crash utility. Current implementation
> provides following:
>
> o Virtual to physical address translation through page tables
> o Stack unwinding support using ARM unwind tables
> o And some more to get minimal support for ARM architecture
>
> There are limitations, however:
>
> o Only one CPU is supported (I don't have access to ARM SMP hardware)
> o No support for stack unwinding with CONFIG_FRAMEPOINTER
> o Only diskdump format is supported (generated by makedumpfile)
>
> These apply on top of crash 5.0.5 sources. Please let me know, if there is
> something that needs to be changed. It would be great if you would consider
> taking these in upstream crash.

Hi Mike,

Actually I have a problem with this -- although I think it's a good one for you...

As I understand it, this patch-set will run on an ARM host against either
an ARM kdump-ELF or makedumpfile-generated dumpfile, and presumably on a
live ARM system.

As it turns out, over the last couple of weeks, I've been going back-and-forth
with another ARM-support patch-set created by Jan Karlsson and Thomas Fange of
Sony Ericcson. However, their patch set is designed to be built on and run
on a 32-bit x86 host, although I think that with a very minor tweak, it could
also could be built and run on an ARM host. For that reason, it doesn't support
running on a live ARM system, but rather only for ARM dumpfiles running
on an x86 host (or x86_64 given its capability of running 32-bit binaries).

In any case, I'm more than happy to fold in ARM support, but I don't know what
to do in this case.

I wonder if it would it be possible for you, Jan and Thomas to somehow collaborate
on this effort? It seems that both sides would benefit from the work of the other
side. I've added them to the cc list.

This should be interesting...

Dave


> With these patches, the crash utility can analyze ARM crashdumps pretty well (at
> least in my testing environment). What is missing, can be implemented later on
> when we have kernel[1] support and users.
>
> After this, all necessary userspace components should be ready for ARM
> architecture (kexec-tools, makedumpfile and crash utility).
>
> I've tested this on OMAP3 based platforms with 2.6.32 and latest mainline
> kernels (with the kdump patches).
>
> Regards,
> MW
>
> [1]
> Note that kernel crashdump support is not yet in mainline but I'm hoping that it
> will be merged eventually (patches are in RMK's patch tracker already).
>
> Mika Westerberg (4):
> configure: add support for ARM targets
> crash: add support for ARM kernel image
> crash: add ARM diskdump support
> crash: add ARM crashdump support
>
> Makefile | 12 +-
> arm.c | 1188
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
> configure.c | 14 +
> defs.h | 131 ++++++
> diskdump.c | 50 ++-
> kernel.c | 2 +-
> lkcd_vmdump_v2_v3.h | 4 +-
> symbols.c | 8 +-
> unwind_arm.c | 702 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 9 files changed, 2102 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)
> create mode 100644 arm.c
> create mode 100644 unwind_arm.c

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Mika Westerberg
 
Default crash utility: add ARM crashdump support

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:10:58PM +0200, ext Dave Anderson wrote:
>
> Actually I have a problem with this -- although I think it's a good one for you...
>
> As I understand it, this patch-set will run on an ARM host against either
> an ARM kdump-ELF or makedumpfile-generated dumpfile, and presumably on a
> live ARM system.

Right. Except that current patch set only supports makedumpfile generated
dumpfile.

> As it turns out, over the last couple of weeks, I've been going back-and-forth
> with another ARM-support patch-set created by Jan Karlsson and Thomas Fange of
> Sony Ericcson. However, their patch set is designed to be built on and run
> on a 32-bit x86 host, although I think that with a very minor tweak, it could
> also could be built and run on an ARM host. For that reason, it doesn't support
> running on a live ARM system, but rather only for ARM dumpfiles running
> on an x86 host (or x86_64 given its capability of running 32-bit binaries).

Good to know. I didn't notice that someone else was doing the similar thing.

As there is no cross-architecture support in current crash, I decided to take
the easiest route and make it run natively on ARM. It works on i386 as well but
only because of the same endianess and word size. So I'm currently running this
on the target device or under ARM linux-user QEMU.

> In any case, I'm more than happy to fold in ARM support, but I don't know what
> to do in this case.
>
> I wonder if it would it be possible for you, Jan and Thomas to somehow collaborate
> on this effort? It seems that both sides would benefit from the work of the other
> side. I've added them to the cc list.

Sure. Can those patches be found in some public ML? I quickly searched but
couldn't find anything.

Regards,
MW

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default crash utility: add ARM crashdump support

----- "Mika Westerberg" <ext-mika.1.westerberg@nokia.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:10:58PM +0200, ext Dave Anderson wrote:
>
> > In any case, I'm more than happy to fold in ARM support, but I don't know what
> > to do in this case.
> >
> > I wonder if it would it be possible for you, Jan and Thomas to somehow collaborate
> > on this effort? It seems that both sides would benefit from the work of the other
> > side. I've added them to the cc list.
>
> Sure. Can those patches be found in some public ML? I quickly searched but
> couldn't find anything.
>
> Regards,
> MW

Jan is contacting you off-list.

Thanks,
Dave

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Lei Wen
 
Default crash utility: add ARM crashdump support

Hi Dave,

What the status of this patch series now? Could crash utilities
support analyzing arm machine core dump in the x86 host?
This is very useful feature, since the arm kernel already support the
core dump by kdump enabled.

Thanks,
Lei

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Dave Anderson <anderson@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> ----- "Mika Westerberg" <ext-mika.1.westerberg@nokia.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:10:58PM +0200, ext Dave Anderson wrote:
>>
>> > In any case, I'm more than happy to fold in ARM support, but I don't know what
>> > to do in this case.
>> >
>> > I wonder if it would it be possible for you, Jan and Thomas to somehow collaborate
>> > on this effort? *It seems that both sides would benefit from the work of the other
>> > side. *I've added them to the cc list.
>>
>> Sure. Can those patches be found in some public ML? I quickly searched but
>> couldn't find anything.
>>
>> Regards,
>> MW
>
> Jan is contacting you off-list.
>
> Thanks,
> *Dave
>
> _______________________________________________
> kexec mailing list
> kexec@lists.infradead.org
> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/kexec
>

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default crash utility: add ARM crashdump support

----- "Lei Wen" <adrian.wenl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> What the status of this patch series now? Could crash utilities
> support analyzing arm machine core dump in the x86 host?

That is the plan, i.e., supporting the analysis of ARM dumpfiles
on both x86 and ARM hosts (and by extension on x86_64 hosts using
the x86 binary), and presumably "live" on ARM hosts.

> This is very useful feature, since the arm kernel already support the
> core dump by kdump enabled.

I'm waiting for the results of the Nokia/Sony-Ericsson collaboration
efforts. I've added Jan and Thomas's names to the cc: list.

Dave

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Mika Westerberg
 
Default crash utility: add ARM crashdump support

Dave, Lei,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 04:14:41PM +0200, ext Dave Anderson wrote:
>
> ----- "Lei Wen" <adrian.wenl@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>
> > This is very useful feature, since the arm kernel already support the
> > core dump by kdump enabled.
>
> I'm waiting for the results of the Nokia/Sony-Ericsson collaboration
> efforts. I've added Jan and Thomas's names to the cc: list.

We have the patch set ready. Currently we have been testing it on our
platforms and plan was to post them before end of this month.

Regards,
MW

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org