Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Sergey Svishchev

Default crash does not support recent qemu save-vm formats

Hi,

I've been trying to diagnose a livelock-like condition (no response to
ping, serial console dead, KVM process consumes 100% CPU) of KVM virtual
machines on Ubuntu 9.10 (Ubuntu AMD64 kernel 2.6.31-17-server, QEMU
0.11.0 and libvirt 0.7.0).

"virsh dump" generates a dump file that crash cannot read:

crash: qemu-load.c:501: cpu_init_load_64: Assertion `version_id >= 4 &&
version_id <= 9' failed.

Indeed, CPU_SAVE_VERSION in this dump file is 10.

See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/crash/+bug/559219

--
Sergey Svishchev

Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Sergey Svishchev" <svs@ropnet.ru> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to diagnose a livelock-like condition (no response to
>
> ping, serial console dead, KVM process consumes 100% CPU) of KVM virtual
> machines on Ubuntu 9.10 (Ubuntu AMD64 kernel 2.6.31-17-server, QEMU
> 0.11.0 and libvirt 0.7.0).
>
> "virsh dump" generates a dump file that crash cannot read:
>
> crash: qemu-load.c:501: cpu_init_load_64: Assertion `version_id >= 4 &&
> version_id <= 9' failed.
>
> Indeed, CPU_SAVE_VERSION in this dump file is 10.
>
> See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/crash/+bug/559219
>
> --
> Sergey Svishchev

I'll check with the author of the crash qemu code.

BTW, if you follow the advice in the ubuntu bug description, does
the crash session work normally?

Dave

Old 04-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Sergey Svishchev" <svs@ropnet.ru> wrote:

> Dave Anderson wrote:
>
> >> See also
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/crash/+bug/559219
> >>
> >> --
> >> Sergey Svishchev
> >
> > BTW, if you follow the advice in the ubuntu bug description, does
> > the crash session work normally?
>
> (It's my bug report :-)
>
> Yes, mostly. Date is wrong (DATE: Sun Oct 26 03:35:21 2594), 'bt'
> reports some errors but otherwise backtraces look sane.
>
> crash> bt
> PID: 0 TASK: ffffffff81796600 CPU: 0 COMMAND: "swapper"
> #0 [ffffffff8176fe58] schedule at ffffffff81525251
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 41 type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 1587b type: "call byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 6db6db6db6db6db2 type: "call
> byte"
> bt: invalid kernel virtual address: 937fb type: "call byte"
> #1 [ffffffff8176ff00] cpu_idle at ffffffff81010e45
>
> --
> Sergey Svishchev

Yeah, something is still askew. I just got this from Paolo Bonzini,
the author of the qemu-related code in crash:

> > By any chance do you have any insights re: the structure-related
> > changes associated with CPU_SAVE_VERSION?. This is an upstream bug
> > report, but I note that in qemu-kvm-0.11.0-rc1.fc12.i686, it's equal
> > to 10 in target-i386/cpu.h.
>
> It needs an update for newer qemus. I'll take a look, as probably
> we'd want this on RHEL6 too (or maybe not, I used crash/kvm on RHEL6
> about a month ago).
>
> Paolo

Please keep that dump around for an upcoming test patch...

Thanks,
Dave