Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Sharyathi Nagesh

Default dev -p command fails post linux 2.6.25

Hi Dave
As you may be aware dev -p command post linux kernel 2.6.25 fails with
"no PCI devices found on this system.". When I went through the kernel
a specific commit has removed pci_devices variable from the kernel code

git commit: 5ff580c10ec06fd296bd23d4570c1a95194094a0
by Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

This is what he says in the commit
This patch finally removes the global list of PCI devices. We are
relying entirely on the list held in the driver core now, and do not
need a separate "shadow" list as no one uses it.

I saw some of your earlier postings where you have specifically
mentioned about this problem:
http://www.mail-archive.com/crash-utility@redhat.com/msg00346.html

With this I wanted to know, if you intend to keep dev -p behavior as it
is now or
there is any plan to change it to display actual values?

Thank You
Sharyathi N

Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Sharyathi Nagesh" <sharyath@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave
> As you may be aware dev -p command post linux kernel 2.6.25 fails with
> "no PCI devices found on this system.". When I went through the kernel
> a specific commit has removed pci_devices variable from the kernel code
>
> ================================================== ================
> git commit: 5ff580c10ec06fd296bd23d4570c1a95194094a0
> by Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
>

> This is what he says in the commit
> This patch finally removes the global list of PCI devices. We are
> relying entirely on the list held in the driver core now, and do not
> need a separate "shadow" list as no one uses it.
>
> ================================================== ================
>
> I saw some of your earlier postings where you have specifically mentioned about this problem:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/crash-utility@redhat.com/msg00346.html
>

> With this I wanted to know, if you intend to keep dev -p behavior as it is now or
> there is any plan to change it to display actual values?
>
> Thank You
> Sharyathi N

I (personally) have no plans to change it. If I remember correctly,
Bud Brown came up with an alternate scheme, but the imported data from
the kernel proper required to accomplish it was enormous (bordering
on absurd), so I suggested that it would be more appropriate as an
extension module.

Bud -- feel free to chime in here... ;-)

For that matter, even the "old" way required the import of ~1000 lines
of kernel #define's -- which always bugged me -- and was pretty much the
only crash command that had to do such a thing.

Dave

Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Dave Anderson" <anderson@redhat.com> wrote:

> > With this I wanted to know, if you intend to keep dev -p behavior as it is now or
> > there is any plan to change it to display actual values?
> >
> > Thank You
> > Sharyathi N
>
> I (personally) have no plans to change it. If I remember correctly,
> Bud Brown came up with an alternate scheme, but the imported data from
> the kernel proper required to accomplish it was enormous (bordering
> on absurd), so I suggested that it would be more appropriate as an
> extension module.
>
> Bud -- feel free to chime in here... ;-)
>
> For that matter, even the "old" way required the import of ~1000 lines
> of kernel #define's -- which always bugged me -- and was pretty much the
> only crash command that had to do such a thing.
>
> Dave

Actually, at a minimum, I should change this:

if (!symbol_exists("pci_devices"))
error(FATAL, "no PCI devices found on this system.
");

to the generic option_not_supported() message.

Dave

Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Sharyathi Nagesh

Thanks for the reply Dave.
Even I feel it is better to change the error message to what you have
suggested. That is simplest way to address the issue as well. It gives a
clearer message to the user.
I am curious to hear from Bud on the alternate scheme and progress
as well. Bud your views ?
Thanks
Sharyathi

On 04/23/2010 08:01 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:

> ----- "Dave Anderson" <anderson@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> With this I wanted to know, if you intend to keep dev -p behavior
>>> as it is now or there is any plan to change it to display actual
>>> values?
>>>
>>> Thank You Sharyathi N
>>
>> I (personally) have no plans to change it. If I remember
>> correctly, Bud Brown came up with an alternate scheme, but the
>> imported data from the kernel proper required to accomplish it was
>> enormous (bordering on absurd), so I suggested that it would be
>> more appropriate as an extension module.
>>
>> Bud -- feel free to chime in here... ;-)
>>
>> For that matter, even the "old" way required the import of ~1000
>> lines of kernel #define's -- which always bugged me -- and was
>> pretty much the only crash command that had to do such a thing.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Actually, at a minimum, I should change this:
>
> if (!symbol_exists("pci_devices")) error(FATAL, "no PCI devices found
> on this system.
");

Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

I've a crash extension called 'pci', its a direct replacement for the 'dev' command but contains its own (huge) internal database of pci information. I thought I'd finished integrating oui.txt from ieee and pci.ids from sourceforge but looking at the code today, I have *not* done that yet.... hmmm thought I'd finished that stuff. But, its on the todo list. I wrote it about a year ago and haven't really done anything with the sources since then.

It only uses the pci information from www.pcidatabase.com at present. I'll see if I can get this up on the net for use if there is interest. There are two parts, you download the source pci id information from the web and run a pre-processor on it, and then compile the extension with the header file you've created.

The ext-pci.so is currently ~1.1MB in size. Another todo list item was to shrink the size of the database via restructuring it but I don't expect more than a 25%-33% reduction in size at most.

Bud Brown
Red Hat, Inc
Westford, MA
SEG/Storage Team
------------------------------

Message: 4
Even I feel it is better to change the error message to what you have
suggested. That is simplest way to address the issue as well. It gives a
clearer message to the user.
I am curious to hear from Bud on the alternate scheme and progress
as well. Bud your views ?
Thanks
Sharyathi

On 04/23/2010 08:01 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:

> ----- "Dave Anderson" <anderson@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> With this I wanted to know, if you intend to keep dev -p behavior
>>> as it is now or there is any plan to change it to display actual
>>> values?
>>>
>>> Thank You Sharyathi N
>>
>> I (personally) have no plans to change it. If I remember
>> correctly, Bud Brown came up with an alternate scheme, but the
>> imported data from the kernel proper required to accomplish it was
>> enormous (bordering on absurd), so I suggested that it would be
>> more appropriate as an extension module.
>>
>> Bud -- feel free to chime in here... ;-)
>>
>> For that matter, even the "old" way required the import of ~1000
>> lines of kernel #define's -- which always bugged me -- and was
>> pretty much the only crash command that had to do such a thing.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Actually, at a minimum, I should change this:
>
> if (!symbol_exists("pci_devices")) error(FATAL, "no PCI devices found
> on this system.
");

> to the generic option_not_supported() message.
>
> Dave

End of Crash-utility Digest, Vol 55, Issue 11

Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Sharyathi Nagesh

Dave

> Actually, at a minimum, I should change this:
>
> if (!symbol_exists("pci_devices")) error(FATAL, "no PCI devices found
> on this system.
");

> to the generic option_not_supported() message.

Can you accept this change I basically replaced above error message to
option_not_supported() call.
Do let me know your observation
Thanks
Sharyathi N

Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Sharyathi Nagesh" <sharyath@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Dave
> >
> > Actually, at a minimum, I should change this:
> >
> > if (!symbol_exists("pci_devices")) error(FATAL, "no PCI devices found
> > on this system.
");

> > to the generic option_not_supported() message.
>
> Can you accept this change I basically replaced above error message to
> option_not_supported() call.
> Do let me know your observation
> Thanks
> Sharyathi N

Hi Sharyathi,

The patch that I already have queued is attached:

- Fix the error message for the "dev -p" comand when run on 2.6.26
or later kernels, which no longer have the global "pci_devices"
list head. The patch changes the message to show "dev: -p option
not supported or applicable on this architecture or kernel", instead
of the misleading "dev: no PCI devices found on this system" message.
(anderson@redhat.com)

Thanks,
Dave--
Crash-utility mailing list