Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Mithun R N Iyer

Default crash utility on x86_64 non redhat machine ?

Hi,

My machine is not redhat linux, will I be able to use it on any linux machine ?
Where can I find the crash utility binary for x86-64 ? I am finding hard time building it from the sources.

Appreciate any help!
- mithun

Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Mithun R N Iyer" <mithun_rn@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My machine is not redhat linux, will I be able to use it on any linux machine ?
> Where can I find the crash utility binary for x86-64 ? I am finding
> hard time building it from the sources.
>
> Appreciate any help!
> - mithun

It should run on non-Red Hat kernels, provided that the kernel doesn't
have some fundamental kernel difference/patch that causes it to fail.

The various kernel distributors (SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) have their
own versions of this crash utility, which may have their own patches,
but the base upstream version is not tied to Red Hat kernels.

As far as binaries are concerned, it's likely that a version built on
one distribution won't run on another distribution, although I've never
tried that.

If you can't build it from the sources, then I guess you would have
to get a binary version of crash from the distribution that you are
running on. What is your system missing that causes the build to fail?

Dave