Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Chandan12 K

Default Reasons why kdump isn't activated

First you need to figure out the reason
of your system failure. If its complete power failure, then kexec wont
be able to load a new kernel in current context.

Secondly, is kexec properly configured
in your system?

Chandan Kumar

Tata Consultancy Services

Mailto: chandan12.k@tcs.com

Website: http://www.tcs.com

Experience certainty. IT Services

* Business Solutions

* Outsourcing

From:
Gallus <gall.cwpl@gmail.com>

To:
"Discussion list for crash utility
usage, * * * *maintenance and development"
<crash-utility@redhat.com>

Date:
02/09/2010 07:10 PM

Subject:
[Crash-utility] Reasons why kdump isn't
activated

Sent by:
crash-utility-bounces@redhat.com

Hi,

what can be any reasons why kdump mechanism isn't triggered? My first

though is that it means a hardware failure, not a kernel problem.

Regards,

Mariusz Gniazdowski

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
"Laurence A. Oberman"

Hi Dave

I use crash all the time on SLES dumps. I still have problems with the SLAB stuff, even with 5.0.

"crash: unable to initialize kmem slab cache subsystem"

Is there a fix for this or am I missing something in creating the debug vmlinux kernel

crash 5.0.0
Copyright (C) 2002-2010 Red Hat, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006 IBM Corporation
Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Hewlett-Packard Co
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 Fujitsu Limited
Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
Copyright (C) 2005 NEC Corporation
Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
certain conditions. Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
This program has absolutely no warranty. Enter "help warranty" for details.

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...

WARNING: could not find MAGIC_START!
please wait... (gathering kmem slab cache data)
crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: 1082fffea00 type: "kmem_cache buffer" ---->

crash: unable to initialize kmem slab cache subsystem

SYSTEM MAP: map.0
DEBUG KERNEL: vmlinux (2.6.5-7.244-smp)
DUMPFILE: dump.0
CPUS: 4
DATE: Sat Feb 6 12:43:37 2010
UPTIME: 213503982289 days, 20:38:24
LOAD AVERAGE: 260.75, 259.77, 258.95
TASKS: 1167
NODENAME: linuscs73
RELEASE: 2.6.5-7.252-smp
VERSION: #2 SMP Mon Jun 22 13:11:57 PDT 2009
MACHINE: x86_64 (2666 Mhz)
MEMORY: 32.7 GB
PANIC: "manual"
PID: 8741
COMMAND: "lkcd_config"
TASK: 107ed5d6b40 [THREAD_INFO: 1024f3ac000]
CPU: 2
STATE: TASK_RUNNING (PANIC)

Thanks
Laurence

Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Dave Anderson

----- "Laurence A. Oberman" <online@photonlinux.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> I use crash all the time on SLES dumps. I still have problems with the
> SLAB stuff, even with 5.0.
>
> "crash: unable to initialize kmem slab cache subsystem"
>
> Is there a fix for this or am I missing something in creating the
> debug vmlinux kernel
>
> crash 5.0.0
> Copyright (C) 2002-2010 Red Hat, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006 IBM Corporation
> Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Hewlett-Packard Co
> Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 Fujitsu Limited
> Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
> Copyright (C) 2005 NEC Corporation
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
> This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
> and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
> certain conditions. Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
> This program has absolutely no warranty. Enter "help warranty" for
> details.
>
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...
>
> WARNING: could not find MAGIC_START!
> please wait... (gathering kmem slab cache data)
> crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: 1082fffea00 type: "kmem_cache buffer" ---->
>
> crash: unable to initialize kmem slab cache subsystem
>
> SYSTEM MAP: map.0
> DEBUG KERNEL: vmlinux (2.6.5-7.244-smp)
> DUMPFILE: dump.0
> CPUS: 4
> DATE: Sat Feb 6 12:43:37 2010
> UPTIME: 213503982289 days, 20:38:24
> LOAD AVERAGE: 260.75, 259.77, 258.95
> TASKS: 1167
> NODENAME: linuscs73
> RELEASE: 2.6.5-7.252-smp
> VERSION: #2 SMP Mon Jun 22 13:11:57 PDT 2009
> MACHINE: x86_64 (2666 Mhz)
> MEMORY: 32.7 GB
> PANIC: "manual"
> PID: 8741
> COMMAND: "lkcd_config"
> TASK: 107ed5d6b40 [THREAD_INFO: 1024f3ac000]
> CPU: 2
> STATE: TASK_RUNNING (PANIC)
>

> Thanks
> Laurence

The "seek error" indicates that the kmem slab page associated with
virtual address 1082fffea00, which is unity-mapped to physical
address 82fffea00, could not be found in the dump.0 file.

If we presume that it is a "correct" address, physical address
82fffea00 is *very* close to the end of physical memory on that
system, which shows "32.7 GB". If you enter:

crash> kmem -p | tail

and wait a while because of the size of the dump, it will eventually
dump the end of the system's mem_map array of physical pages, where
the second column in the list contains the physical address.

I only have one SLES9 (2.6.5-7.315-smp) dumpfile example, which is
a 16GB dumpfile, and the output looks like this:

crash> kmem -p | tail
10407efdd98 407ff5000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efddd0 407ff6000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efde08 407ff7000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efde40 407ff8000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efde78 407ff9000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efdeb0 407ffa000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efdee8 407ffb000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efdf20 407ffc000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efdf58 407ffd000 0 0 0 d000080
10407efdf90 407ffe000 0 0 0 d000080
crash>

where 407ffe000 is the last page of physical memory on the system.

If you do the same thing, how does the last physical page compare
to 82fffea00?

Dave

output looks like this

Old 02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Gallus

Kexec is property configured: /etc/init.d/kdump status shows: "Kdump
is operational". There is no message like: "disabling kdump" in dmesg.
Instead, there are messages: "kdump: kexec: loaded kdump kernel" and
"kdump: started up".

After system-wide error occurs, kdump reacts correctly. New kernel is
started, and there are messages like: "Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to
0x0) notwithin permissible range" (this is correct, secondary kernel
starts with different kernel command line, without the crashkernel
option, because it doesn't load any third kernel, as we know) and
"disabling kdump". But, there is no message: "kdump: saved a vmcore to
/var/crash/*" and no vmcore is saved.

When I tested exactly the same box with manually triggered system
crash (echo c >/proc/sysrq....), everything was the same except that
the "kdump: saved a vmcore to /var/crash/*" was emitted and the vmcore
was saved.

Regards,
Gallus

Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Dave Anderson

If I can make a suggestion -- this list is for crash utility issues and not
so much for kexec/kdump issues. You might try the kexec mailing list:

Dave