Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Gallus

Default Reasons why kdump isn't activated

Hi,
what can be any reasons why kdump mechanism isn't triggered? My first
though is that it means a hardware failure, not a kernel problem.

Regards,
Mariusz Gniazdowski

Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Neil Horman

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:35:25PM +0100, Gallus wrote:
> Hi,
> what can be any reasons why kdump mechanism isn't triggered? My first
> though is that it means a hardware failure, not a kernel problem.
>
> Regards,
> Mariusz Gniazdowski

Thats one of them, yes. Either a failure prevents execution immediately, or
kills the kdump kernel very early in the next boot. Alternatively, newer
hardware can expose software bugs when their drivers aren't expecing to
configure them from the unknown state the previous kernel left in them.
Neil