Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Dave Anderson

Default Using crash - is a debug kernel required during vmcore collection (additional question - typical vmcore size)

----- "Gallus" <gall.cwpl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 January 2010 15:47, Dave Anderson <anderson@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you're asking whether the secondary kdump kernel needs to
> > be the same as the crashing kernel, then the answer is no.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> That was my question. Thank you for answer.
>
> What is the size of vmcore file? Is it the size of all allocated
> virtual memory at the moment of kernel panic?

The /proc/vmcore file is the size of the system's physical memory
plus the ELF header contents. If configured, makedumpfile can be
used to considerably reduce the size of the stored vmcore file by
filtering out different page types and/or by compression.

Dave