FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Crash Utility

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default netdump issue

----- "Anirudh Srinivasan" <srianirudh@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am implementing a netdump . I crashed one sever and got the vmcore
> file in /var/crash/vmcore , then i checked the kernel version through
>
> strings vmcore | fgrep -m1 'Linux'
> Linux version 2.4.21-40.ELsmp ( bhcompile@hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com
> ) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54)) #1 SMP Thu Feb
> 2 22:22:39 EST 2006
>
> So now while installing the kernel-debuginfo , it should match the
> version above i.e something like
> "kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.ELsmp.i368.rpm"
>
> But i installed the closest one and that was
> kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i386.rpm but after installing them i
> should have /usr/lib/debug/module/vmlinux , which i could'nt see them
> .

OK, so you're running -- and have crashed -- a RHEL3 i686 smp kernel,
and the vmcore pinpoints the version as version 2.4.21-40.ELsmp. So
you need to install the kernel-debuginfo-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm (not
the "i386" version), which contains the vmlinux debug files for that
kernel version:

$ rpm -qpl kernel-debuginfo-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm | grep vmlinux
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.EL.debug
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELhugemem.debug
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug
$

And the relevant file in your case would be located in
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug.

>
> Can anyone give me the link to the rpm i am looking for , or suggest
> some idea. ( the server that i am dumping vmcore is version 5 )
>
> I have bunch of server with version 2 and version 3 and version 4 in
> my production environment for which i have to configure netdump to
> collect the vmcore in version 5 server .

That's fine -- one way you can get the specific debuginfo package
you need is by going to my people page:

http://people.redhat.com/anderson

1. Click on the "Red Hat Enterprise Linux debuginfo RPMs" link.
2. On that next page, in the "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3" box,
click on the "AS: i386" link.

That will bring you to the ftp site that contains *all* RHEL3
packages, so you have to search for:

kernel-debuginfo-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm

Again, make sure you get the "i686" version.

Hope this helps,
Dave



--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Jeff Moyer
 
Default netdump issue

Anirudh Srinivasan <srianirudh@gmail.com> writes:

> I am implementing a netdump . I crashed one sever and got the vmcore file in
> /var/crash/vmcore , then i checked the kernel version through
>
> strings vmcore | fgrep -m1 'Linux'
> Linux version 2.4.21-40.ELsmp (bhcompile@hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com) (gcc
> version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54)) #1 SMP Thu Feb 2 22:22:39
> EST 2006
> So now while installing the kernel-debuginfo , it should match the version
> above i.e something like "kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.ELsmp.i368.rpm"
>
> But i installed the closest one and that was
> kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i386.rpm but after installing them i should
> have /usr/lib/debug/module/vmlinux , which i could'nt see them .

Not quite right. If you do:

# rpm -qpl kernel-debuginfo-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm | grep vmlinux

you'll see:

/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.EL.debug
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELhugemem.debug
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug

You, of course, want the smp version. I'm assuming you want to examine
the core file with crash. If so, something like the following should
work:

crash /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug /path/to/vmcore

> Can anyone give me the link to the rpm i am looking for , or suggest some
> idea. ( the server that i am dumping vmcore is version 5 )

You mean the netdump server is running on a RHEL 5 system? That is
fine.

> I have bunch of server with version 2 and version 3 and version 4 in my
> production environment for which i have to configure netdump to collect the
> vmcore in version 5 server .

Right, running the netdump server on a RHEL 5 system is fine. You
should have no problems collecting vmcores from your AS 2.1, RHEL 3 and
RHEL 4 systems.

Cheers,
Jeff

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default netdump issue

----- "Anirudh Srinivasan" <srianirudh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes the netdump server is rhel 5 . As you suggested , i downloaded the
> rpm kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i686.rpm
> and found
>
> /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.EL.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELhugemem.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug
>
> Upon running the crash on vmcore now this is what i get :
>
> [root@dump 10.21.14.175-2009-01-22-14:00]# crash /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug /var/crash/10.21.14.175-2009-01-22-14:00/vmcore
> crash 4.0-3.14
> Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Red Hat, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006 IBM Corporation
> Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Hewlett-Packard Co
> Copyright (C) 2005 Fujitsu Limited
> Copyright (C) 2005 NEC Corporation
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2002 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
> This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
> and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
> certain conditions. Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
> This program has absolutely no warranty. Enter "help warranty" for details.
>
> crash: /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug: no text and data contents
> crash: The namelist argument supplied in this case is a debuginfo file,
> which must be accompanied by the kernel file from which it was derived.
>
> I need further help to proceed with this as i am new to rhel , kidly
> help me guide through this. I know close to achieve this just that i
> need some proper guidance.

As the error message indicates, the .debug file must be accompanied
by the kernel file from which it was derived.

In RHEL3, the /boot/vmlinux-<release> file is stripped, and its
debuginfo data is located in its assocated vmlinux.<release>.debug
file. So the vmlinux-<release> and/or the vmlinux.<release>.debug
files are of no use without the other. When they are "put back
together", they become useful to the crash utility.

The /boot/vmlinux-<release> file has an embedded link in its
header to its /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-<release> file.
Therefore, if you are running the crash utility on the system
that crashed you can enter:

$ crash /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp <path-to>/vmcore

and the crash utility will automatically look for and find
the linked /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug
file.

Alternatively, you can just put both files on the command line,
as in:

$ crash <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug <path-to>/vmcore

Note that this is only necessary for RHEL3. In RHEL4 and beyond
the vmlinux is not split, and you only need to put the single vmlinux
file (from the debuginfo package) on the command line.

Dave

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Anirudh Srinivasan
 
Default netdump issue

Hi
*
*
I have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5*but not /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp *, and let me make one point clear i have rhel version 5 as the netdump server , and the client server that was crashed is a version 3 rhel. Dave that so kind of you for a good suggestion . But is there any other way i can achieve this.

*
Thank you
*
Regards
--
Anirudh Srinivasan


--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default netdump issue

----- "Anirudh Srinivasan" <srianirudh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>
> I have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 but not
> /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp , and let me make one point clear i have
> rhel version 5 as the netdump server , and the client server that was
> crashed is a version 3 rhel. Dave that so kind of you for a good
> suggestion . But is there any other way i can achieve this.

The fact that the netdump server is running on a RHEL5 machine is irrelevant.
The fact that you mention that you have "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5" (RHEL%)
leads me to believe that you are looking for the RHEL3 vmlinux file on the
RHEL5 netdump-server instead of on the RHEL3 machine that crashed.

Again, what you need to analyze the RHEL3 vmcore is:

(1) the stripped vmlinux-<release> from the installed kernel package, which in
your case would be: kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm.
(2) its associated vmlinux-<release>.debug from the kernel debuginfo package,
which in your case would be: kernel-debuginfo-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm.

In RHEL3, the stripped vmlinux-<release> file is installed in /boot.
Although, that file is not actually booted -- what actually gets booted is
the vmlinuz-<release> file (with a 'z').

So anyway, the RHEL3 system that crashed was running the 2.4.21.40 kernel
package. Accordingly, the stripped vmlinux-<release> file and the bootable
vmlinuz-<release> file are *both* contained in that package:

$ rpm -qpl kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm | grep -e vmlinux -e vmlinuz
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
$

So, look in /boot on the RHEL3 client for the stripped vmlinux-<release>
file. If it's not there, find the kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm binary
package that was installed on the system and extract the stripped vmlinux file.

Dave



--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Anirudh Srinivasan
 
Default netdump issue

Hi dave and all
*
As i have said to you previously the netdump server i am using is version redhat 5 , and the netdump client version is a AS 3 redhat.
*
Now i have reached a stage where i am having the vmcore file of a crashed AS 3 redhat and i am going to run my crash utility on the netdump server version*5 . I have installed the*kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i686.rpm which is equvivalent to the crashed kernel version*AS 3 .*

*
Dave, as you suggested to look for*and execute
crash <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug <path-to>/vmcore
*
But the fact is i dont have*/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp*, instead i have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 , which*make sence because its a redhat version 5 machine.*
*
SO do i need to install secondary kernel version that match the crashed version?
*
So what i presume from this is that crash utility can be run*on the machine which run the same version as that of the crashed version .*
*
*Is that right or am i wrong , i dont know.
*
Where do i go from here . Waiting eagerly for a reply .
Regards
--
Anirudh Srinivasan


--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Dave Anderson
 
Default netdump issue

----- "Anirudh Srinivasan" <srianirudh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi dave and all
>
> As i have said to you previously the netdump server i am using is
> version redhat 5 , and the netdump client version is a AS 3 redhat.
>
> Now i have reached a stage where i am having the vmcore file of a
> crashed AS 3 redhat and i am going to run my crash utility on the
> netdump server version 5 . I have installed the
> kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i686.rpm which is equvivalent to the
> crashed kernel version AS 3 .
>
> Dave, as you suggested to look for and execute
> crash <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
> <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug <path-to>/vmcore
>
> But the fact is i dont have /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp , instead i
> have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 , which make sence because its a
> redhat version 5 machine.
>
> SO do i need to install secondary kernel version that match the
> crashed version?

You must have missed my reply I sent out this morning -- check this out:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2009-January/msg00059.html

>
> So what i presume from this is that crash utility can be run on the
> machine which run the same version as that of the crashed version.

There are no kernel version dependencies, but rather host machine
dependencies. Presuming you have gathered the (1) stripped vmlinux,
the (2) associated vmlinux.debug, and the (3) vmcore file, you have
the following options:

(1) Run "crash vmlinux vmlinux.debug vmcore" on the RHEL3 machine
that crashed.
(2) If the RHEL5 netdump-server machine is also a 32-bit x86 machine,
you can also just run "crash vmlinux vmlinux.debug vmcore" there.
(3) If the RHEL5 netdump-server machine is an x86_64 and running an
x86_64 kernel, you'd have to copy the 32-bit crash utility binary
from a 32-bit machine, and run "crash vmlinux vmlinux.debug vmcore"
specifying the 32-bit version of crash.

Dave

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Anirudh Srinivasan
 
Default netdump issue

Hi*dave and all
*
Finally worked , i am must really say thanks to dave and the rest of the people . Its like i was working on this for like 2 weeks and now i feel relaxed.
*
Thanks again for all* your help folks
*
Cheers
--
Anirudh Srinivasan


--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org