-   Cluster Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/cluster-development/)
-   -   GFS2: Add gfs2_lockgather script and man page (http://www.linux-archive.org/cluster-development/641154-gfs2-add-gfs2_lockgather-script-man-page.html)

Steven Whitehouse 03-05-2012 05:34 PM

GFS2: Add gfs2_lockgather script and man page

Hi,

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 19:27 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 06:51 PM, Adam Drew wrote:
> > This is a backport of the gfs2_lockgather script and manpage from gfs2_utils upstream.
>
> I have to NACK this backport for now.
>
> I already explain to Adam what needs changing.
>
> Fabio

What is the issue?

Steve.

"Fabio M. Di Nitto" 03-06-2012 02:54 AM

On 03/05/2012 07:34 PM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 19:27 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> On 03/05/2012 06:51 PM, Adam Drew wrote:
>>> This is a backport of the gfs2_lockgather script and manpage from gfs2_utils upstream.
>>
>> I have to NACK this backport for now.
>>
>> I already explain to Adam what needs changing.
>>
>> Fabio
>>

> What is the issue?

There are different ones.

The script is GPLv3 and we can't pull it in cluster.git (GPLv2+) without
some re-licensing work.

Some parts of the script make use of /tmp in unsafe way that can cause
security problems (mostly DoS in this case).

Execution of some cluster commands is not safe. If the cluster is
hanging and you want to use this tool to gather data, the script won't
work because it will hang as well, creating extra load on the cluster.

The script needs to handle shell errors correctly and AFAICT it doesn't.
Basically it can give the impression to run correctly without collecting
data (missing set -e or error handling per call).

(minor) the backport patch needs fixing for the Makefile or it will fail
to build/install.

Fabio

"Fabio M. Di Nitto" 03-06-2012 03:08 AM

GFS2: Add gfs2_lockgather script and man page

On 03/05/2012 07:34 PM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 19:27 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> On 03/05/2012 06:51 PM, Adam Drew wrote:
>>> This is a backport of the gfs2_lockgather script and manpage from gfs2_utils upstream.
>>
>> I have to NACK this backport for now.
>>
>> I already explain to Adam what needs changing.
>>
>> Fabio
>>

> What is the issue?

Forgot to mention in the previous email:

since this is a long time (tar/ssh/scp..) running script, it needs to
handle trap of signals and locking differently or if a user hits ctrl+c
or the script is killed for whatever reason, it doesn't clean after
itself. Leaking disk space and leaving the lock file around that would
block the next run.

I didn't check all the paths it uses, but an update to selinux policies
might be necessary too.

Fabio