Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Jan Kara

Default Fix filesystem freezing deadlocks

Hallelujah,

after a couple of weeks and several rewrites, here comes the third iteration
of my patches to improve filesystem freezing. Filesystem freezing is currently
racy and thus we can end up with dirty data on frozen filesystem (see changelog
patch 06 for detailed race description). This patch series aims at fixing this.

To be able to block all places where inodes get dirtied, I've moved filesystem
freeze handling in mnt_want_write() / mnt_drop_write(). This however required
some code shuffling and changes to kern_path_create() (see patches 02-05). I
think the result is OK but opinions may differ . The advantage of this change
also is that all filesystems get freeze protection almost for free - even ext2
can handle freezing well now.

Another potential contention point might be patch 19. In that patch we make
freeze_super() refuse to freeze the filesystem when there are open but unlinked
files which may be impractical in some cases. The main reason for this is the
problem with handling of file deletion from fput() called with mmap_sem held
(e.g. from munmap(2)), and then there's the fact that we cannot really force
such filesystem into a consistent state... But if people think that freezing
with open but unlinked files should happen, then I have some possible
solutions in mind (maybe as a separate patchset since this is large enough).

I'm not able to hit any deadlocks, lockdep warnings, or dirty data on frozen
filesystem despite beating it with fsstress and bash-shared-mapping while
freezing and unfreezing for several hours (using ext4 and xfs) so I'm
reasonably confident this could finally be the right solution.

And for people wanting to test - this patchset is based on patch series
"Push file_update_time() into .page_mkwrite" so you'll need to pull that one
in as well.

Changes since v2:
* completely rewritten
* freezing is now blocked at VFS entry points
* two stage freezing to handle both mmapped writes and other IO

The biggest changes since v1:
* have two counters to provide safe state transitions for SB_FREEZE_WRITE
and SB_FREEZE_TRANS states
* use percpu counters instead of own percpu structure
* added documentation fixes from the old fs freezing series
* converted XFS to use SB_FREEZE_TRANS counter instead of its private
m_active_trans counter

Honza

CC: Alex Elder <elder@kernel.org>
CC: Anton Altaparmakov <anton@tuxera.com>
CC: Ben Myers <bpm@sgi.com>
CC: Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>
CC: cluster-devel@redhat.com
CC: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>
CC: fuse-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
CC: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>
CC: Joel Becker <jlbec@evilplan.org>
CC: KONISHI Ryusuke <konishi.ryusuke@lab.ntt.co.jp>
CC: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
CC: linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org
CC: linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org
CC: linux-nilfs@vger.kernel.org
CC: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sourceforge.net
CC: Mark Fasheh <mfasheh@suse.com>
CC: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>
CC: ocfs2-devel@oss.oracle.com
CC: OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>
CC: Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho@redhat.com>
CC: "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
CC: xfs@oss.sgi.com

Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Jan Kara

Hello,

here is the fourth iteration of my patches to improve filesystem freezing.
[...]

Changes since v3:
* added third level of freezing for fs internal purposes - hooked some
filesystems to use it (XFS, nilfs2)
* removed racy i_size check from filemap_mkwrite()

Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Jan Kara

Hello,

here is the fifth iteration of my patches to improve filesystem freezing.
No serious changes since last time. Mostly I rebased patches and merged this
series with series moving file_update_time() to ->page_mkwrite() to simplify
testing and merging.

Filesystem freezing is currently racy and thus we can end up with dirty data on
frozen filesystem (see changelog patch 13 for detailed race description). This
patch series aims at fixing this.

To be able to block all places where inodes get dirtied, I've moved filesystem
file_update_time() call to ->page_mkwrite callback (patches 01-07) and put
freeze handling in mnt_want_write() / mnt_drop_write(). That however required
some code shuffling and changes to kern_path_create() (see patches 09-12). I
[...]

Changes since v4:
* added a couple of Acked-by's
* added some comments & doc update
* added patches from series "Push file_update_time() into .page_mkwrite"
since it doesn't make much sense to keep them separate anymore
* rebased on top of 3.4-rc2