-   Cluster Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/cluster-development/)
-   -   Enforce GPT on EFI and MSDOS on non-EFI x86 boot disks. (http://www.linux-archive.org/cluster-development/292724-enforce-gpt-efi-msdos-non-efi-x86-boot-disks.html)

Jeremy Katz 12-09-2009 12:59 PM

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2009 09:00 AM, David Lehman wrote:
>> + * * * *if not self.isEfi and disk.type != "msdos":
>> + * * * * * *errors.append(_("%s must have an MSDOS disk label.") %
>> req.disk.name)
>> * * * * *return errors
>>
>> * * *def setDefaultPartitioning(self):
>
> I'm not quite sure about this one, GPT disks can have an msdos compatibility
> table at the beginning of the disc (created using gptsync), and some EFI machines
> can boot from msdos labelled disks.

The first chunk should be fine (even if the MSDOS compat table is
there, we'll see it as GPT). The second one, yes, having this will
break installing on Intel Macs booting via the BIOS emulation vs going
through EFI. And given some of the oddities of their EFI
implementation, there are some advantages of not booting from it
directly

- Jeremy