Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM
"Juan C. Valido"

Default Network problems on new CentOS 5 install on P35, ICH9R mobo

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 06:09 -0400, Dick Roth wrote:
> Had to replace dying cpu and mobo, so also replaced IDE with new SATA
> drive. Installed from latest ISO onto SATA and can't get networking to
> lease an IP address from my ISP (Comcast). The network utility always
> comes up with a private address (192.168.0.2) instead of Comcast IP.
>
> To add to confusion, if I boot into old IDE drive, I get proper network
> connection to internet, but lose my swap!
>
> Particulars:
>
> mobo=Gigabyte P35-DS3R
> SATA Controller=AHCI
> PATA Controller=JMicron 20360
> new drive=ATA WDC WD1600AAJS-2
> old drive=WDC WD400JB-00JJA0
> DVD-RW=Pioneer DVR-112D (PATA)
> NICs=eth0=Realtek RTL-8029(AS) (DHCP)
> eth1=Realtek RTL-8029(AS) (Static)
>

> Has anyone seen this? Will 5.2 help with this situation? Been working
> on this for days!
>
> Thanks,
> Dick

If it helps any, I tried installing 5,1 on a P35-DS3L and I believe I
had issues with the network card, loaded RHEL 5.2 desktop and everything
worked so maybe 5.2 will work for you.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
"Juan C. Valido"

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 23:49 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Dick Roth wrote:
> > Juan C. Valido wrote:

> >> If it helps any, I tried installing 5,1 on a P35-DS3L and I believe I
> >> had issues with the network card, loaded RHEL 5.2 desktop and everything
> >> worked so maybe 5.2 will work for you.
> >>

> > Thanks for the info, Juan. I'll just hold tight until 5.2 comes down
> > the pike.
> >
> > Dick
> >

> Release notes list the following Realtek drivers added, but I don't see
> yours mentions:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Release_Notes/x86/ar01s01.html
>
> Network driver r8169 updated to add support for the following devices:
>
> RTL8169sb/8110sb
> RTL8169sc/8110sc
> RTL8168b/8111b
> RTL8101e
> RTL8100e

I don't know maybe it's not listed but it's compatible, I know that it
works. Same thing with OSX86, it works <GRIN>

Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
"Tom G. Christensen"

Dick Roth wrote:

Juan C. Valido wrote:

[...]

Updating the r8169 driver will not solve a driver issue with the RTL8029
chip.
The RTL8029 is an old NE2000 clone chip (must be atleast 10 years old by
now). It was common on cheap 10Mbit PCI cards and is supported by the
ne2k-pci driver for many years (and the plain ne2k driver before PCI
support was split out).

-tgc