Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 AM
"Victor Padro"

Default I need hardware advice here

Hello all,

I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?

which chipsets are the best out of the box for Centos AMD platform (AMD based, nVidia based, Ati Based)?
(this could be a plus)

I already have the AMD Athlon 64 X2* 4800+ Processor* AM2 Socket, 6Gb RAM to use(maybe more), a IBM Netserver xSeries 205 Case and a 250gb SATA HD.

thanks in advance.

Cheers.
*

Old 06-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Christopher Chan

Victor Padro wrote:

Hello all,

I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up
and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in
order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?

Use acpi=off or noapic to deal with broken Asus bioses.

Next time, buy MSI or A-bit.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Peter Arremann

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 02:07:12 am Christopher Chan wrote:
> Victor Padro wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up
> > and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in
> > order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?
>
> Use acpi=off or noapic to deal with broken Asus bioses.
>
> Next time, buy MSI or A-bit.
Doesn't MSI require you to have windows for bios updates?

Peter.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-3-2008 2:22 AM Peter Arremann spake the following:

Victor Padro wrote:

Hello all,

I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up
and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in
order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?

Use acpi=off or noapic to deal with broken Asus bioses.

Next time, buy MSI or A-bit.

Doesn't MSI require you to have windows for bios updates?

Peter.
Most boards I have had usually had a floppy image available on the website for
bioses. Only live update is the windows only software.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Karanbir Singh

Victor Padro wrote:

I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up
and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in
order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?

You forgot to mention what the problem was. I've got a few dozen Asus
mobo's running CentOS4/5 with no problems. Perhaps you have some odd
network interface that is not supported by a the Xen kernel ?

- KB

Old 06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
"Victor Padro"

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

Victor Padro wrote:

I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up

and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in

order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?

You forgot to mention what the problem was. I've got a few dozen Asus mobo's running CentOS4/5 with no problems. Perhaps you have some odd network interface that is not supported by a the Xen kernel ?

- KB

> Hello all,
>
>I got this tiny problem, I bought an Asus m2n-vm hdmi
mobo two weeks ago and it seems not to be fully working under centos
>amd64(4.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1 or even RHEL 5.0 i386, amd64) I tried to
install centos and* RHEL using the linux dd and linux noprobe
>commands to load driver disk from nVidia guys but it doesn't detect the
HD I'm using their diferent versions of the driver RHEL 4_U5, >4_U6 , 5,
5_U1 , then if I change the IDE config in the BIOS from SATA to AHCI,
it detects the SATA HD during the install process, but >when it boots
up, it tells me to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot
media in selected boot device and press a key", but >nothing
happens...then I change the BIOS IDE setting back to SATA, and it boots
but it gives me a kernel panic saying "could not mount
>such file
system, not such file or directory", it doesn't load up the drivers at
the linux noprobe way, nor even the forcedeth or the >sata_nv.

>I read in ubuntu and fedora forums that they're supported in Ubuntu
7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and Fedora 7, 8, 9, haven't test them yet though, I
>want to stick with Centos bcos thats my working enviroment.
>
>What can I do?

>Here are my specs:
>Asus msn-vm hdmi
>Chipset Nvidia GeForce7050PV/nForce630a
>AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 2.5Ghz Dual core
>6Gb RAM Kingston
>250 HDD SATA2
>LG IDE DVD-ROM
>

>I'm trying to use this setup in my home lab to test out Xen technology and techniques.

>forgot to say:
>
>I was able to install RHEL 4 with no install
parameters, but I can't upgrade using the RHEL 5 DVD, still the same
issue..no HD detected >in install process.

>any suggestions?

>thanks in advance.
>>Victor.

Well that's it...the main trouble is CentOS/RHEL can't see the HD so therefore can't be installed, this is using the SATA/RAID (even factory defaults doesn't work) in BIOS setting but if I change to AHCI, it can be installed but cannot boot up grub or nothing...so I'm kinda lost here.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
John Bowden

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 16:04:54 Scott Silva wrote:
> on 6-3-2008 2:22 AM Peter Arremann spake the following:

> >> Use acpi=off or noapic to deal with broken Asus bioses.
> >>
> >> Next time, buy MSI or A-bit.
> >
> > Doesn't MSI require you to have windows for bios updates?
> >
> > Peter.
>
> Most boards I have had usually had a floppy image available on the website
> for bioses. Only live update is the windows only software.

Or you can sometimes boot with the m/board driver disk to flash the bios,
putting the new bios file on a floppy or USB pendrive..
john

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
"Victor Padro"

Victor Padro wrote:

I just been wasting time with an Asus mobo trying to get CentOS/RHEL up

and running for my home lab using Xen Technologies and need an advice in

order to have a fully working Box, got any suggestions?

You forgot to mention what the problem was. I've got a few dozen Asus mobo's running CentOS4/5 with no problems. Perhaps you have some odd network interface that is not supported by a the Xen kernel ?

- KB

> Hello all,
>
>I got this tiny problem, I bought an Asus m2n-vm hdmi
mobo two weeks ago and it seems not to be fully working under centos
>amd64(4.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1 or even RHEL 5.0 i386, amd64) I tried to
install centos and* RHEL using the linux dd and linux noprobe
>commands to load driver disk from nVidia guys but it doesn't detect the
HD I'm using their diferent versions of the driver RHEL 4_U5, >4_U6 , 5,
5_U1 , then if I change the IDE config in the BIOS from SATA to AHCI,
it detects the SATA HD during the install process, but >when it boots
up, it tells me to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot
media in selected boot device and press a key", but >nothing
happens...then I change the BIOS IDE setting back to SATA, and it boots
but it gives me a kernel panic saying "could not mount
>such file
system, not such file or directory", it doesn't load up the drivers at
the linux noprobe way, nor even the forcedeth or the >sata_nv.

>I read in ubuntu and fedora forums that they're supported in Ubuntu
7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and Fedora 7, 8, 9, haven't test them yet though, I
>want to stick with Centos bcos thats my working enviroment.
>
>What can I do?

>Here are my specs:
>Asus msn-vm hdmi
>Chipset Nvidia GeForce7050PV/nForce630a
>AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 2.5Ghz Dual core
>6Gb RAM Kingston
>250 HDD SATA2
>LG IDE DVD-ROM
>

>I'm trying to use this setup in my home lab to test out Xen technology and techniques.

>forgot to say:
>
>I was able to install RHEL 4 with no install
parameters, but I can't upgrade using the RHEL 5 DVD, still the same
issue..no HD detected >in install process.

>any suggestions?

>thanks in advance.
>>Victor.

Well that's it...the main trouble is CentOS/RHEL can't see the HD so therefore can't be installed, this is using the SATA/RAID (even factory defaults doesn't work) in BIOS setting but if I change to AHCI, it can be installed but cannot boot up grub or nothing...so I'm kinda lost here.

Good news...

I downloaded the RHEL 5.2 iso from Red Hat and it detected the SATA drive without changing anything in the BIOS, so I can discard a BIOS bug from now on, the iso image was corrupted, though so when I set the root password it crashed, checked the dvd and it didn't pass the test.

So I guess CentOS 5.0, 5.1 & RHEL 5.0, 5.1, sata_nv drivers doesn't support the nForce 630a chipset, not even the official drivers from nVidia.com.

I thank you all for your suggestions/comments...I guess I'll stick with this asus mobo.

Saludos,

Victor.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
"Victor Padro"

Or you can sometimes boot with the m/board driver disk to flash the bios,

putting the new bios file on a floppy or USB pendrive..

john

Already did that, flashed it to the last version, and flashed it backwards, no possitive results neither way, nevertheless I was able to install RHEL 5.2 i386, x86_64 without any issue. The AHCI or even SATA worked ok.

*

--

Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament

with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

Registered Linux user number 414240

Thanks,

Victor

Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-4-2008 8:06 AM Victor Padro spake the following:

Or you can sometimes boot with the m/board driver disk to flash the
bios,
putting the new bios file on a floppy or USB pendrive..
john

Already did that, flashed it to the last version, and flashed it
backwards, no possitive results neither way, nevertheless I was able to
install RHEL 5.2 i386, x86_64 without any issue. The AHCI or even SATA
worked ok.
Well CentOS 5.2 "should" be out in a couple of weeks. I'm sure the build
servers are humming away right now.