-   -   several servers (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/99626-several-servers.html)

06-02-2008 10:24 PM

several servers

hi, i have @server1.domain.com, #server2.domain.com, @server3.domain.com
and @server4.domain.com and i distrib the e-mail users in that four
servers for equal. 2 servers have:
dovecot+sendmail+mailscanner+spamassassin+clamav+s sl/tls+squirrelmail and
other two have:
dovecot+postfix+amavisd+spamassassin+clamav+squirr elmail+ssl/tls, all this
machine over https and firewall with drop rule for defect. ok, there more,
i have one machine to receive e-mails and other machine to send e-mails.
this is que question: i want have only one machine with https and
squirrelmail (i have the machine) than the users can view the e-mails only
with transparent one domain, per example, @domain.com.
i do the method to send and receive e-mails by separate machine through
the squirrelmail config but i don't know how i can do the transparent
@domain.com ???
what is the name of this method or what is the idea than i can permit to
resolve this problem...
thank for all..ROberto.-

--
Roberto Barrientos Molina
Administración TIC

NOTA: Los acentos han sido omitidos intencionalmente.-

Christopher Chan 06-03-2008 12:07 AM

several servers

roberto.barrientos@umag.cl wrote:

[...]

You have two different systems which may or may not have the same
delivery mechanism. It would be painful to try to get your current setup
to work as you will need to add code to resolve the mailboxes and that
usually should mean a central database of some sort containing the
user's mailbox path data or server. Likewise,the incoming delivery
system should also use the central database to determine path to mailbox
or server for delivery.

If you take the server route, then the system needs to know which server
to talk to and I guess you need the code somewhere in squirrelmail and
appropriate routing in the incoming mail server.

If you take the path route, then you need to cross mount each other's
mail store which could be a bad idea as one server going down could take
out the entire cluster due to NFS not responding on the ones that are
still up but you just need code in the mailbox creation phase as dovecot
supports looking up mailbox path data in a sql/ldap database and so do
many LDA available.

The best thing would be to build a new system using GFS + whatever to
create a centralized mailstore so that you do not have to worry about
adding code to resolve the user's server nor have to risk NFS taking out
the entire cluster.

06-03-2008 12:50 PM

several servers

ok..i can install dovecot+postfix+MYSQL..etc..and maybe the problem it's
resolve.
i don't have problem with the machines, the machines are goods, my problem
is the tranparent receive e-mails to the users than are distributed in
four machines with the same number the users and different users in each.
as does google??. they have one entry to e-mail system (gmail.com) but
they have several machine (maybe thousands) in transparent mode.
i read something like LVS...some comment about this software..! is my
solution or I'm lost?
Roberto.-

Christopher Chan 06-04-2008 12:23 AM

several servers

roberto.barrientos@umag.cl wrote:

ok..i can install dovecot+postfix+MYSQL..etc..and maybe the problem it's
resolve.
i don't have problem with the machines, the machines are goods, my problem
is the tranparent receive e-mails to the users than are distributed in
four machines with the same number the users and different users in each.
as does google??. they have one entry to e-mail system (gmail.com) but
they have several machine (maybe thousands) in transparent mode.
i read something like LVS...some comment about this software..! is my
solution or I'm lost?
Roberto.-

dude, fairly distributing users is hard to determine. The mailbox is
created before its activity levels can be known. You have no idea how
frequently it will be used or how much it will eventually store. You are
better off implementing a central storage store with a GFS front end to
it and then you do not have to worry so much about fairly distributing
the load...at least that is what I hope GFS will accomplish since I have
not personally deployed GFS anywhere. Otherwise, you will have to do
maintenance now and then to redistribute the load over the four machines.

As for 'one entry'...you do not seem to know much about dns, smtp, and
http proxies in general do you? Of course, this has nothing to do with
the way Google does its stuff.

Luke S Crawford 06-05-2008 08:10 PM

several servers

roberto.barrientos@umag.cl writes:
> ok..i can install dovecot+postfix+MYSQL..etc..and maybe the problem it's
> resolve.
> i don't have problem with the machines, the machines are goods, my problem
> is the tranparent receive e-mails to the users than are distributed in
> four machines with the same number the users and different users in each.
> as does google??. they have one entry to e-mail system (gmail.com) but
> they have several machine (maybe thousands) in transparent mode.
> i read something like LVS...some comment about this software..! is my
> solution or I'm lost?
> Roberto.-

many ways to do this.

The easiest option is to put customers on mail1.isp.com ... have
the server at isp.com just have a bunch of aliases pointing userx@isp.com
to userx@maily.isp.com ...

the disadvantages are that the end users need to know to set their
pop/imap clients to maily.isp.com, where y will be different for different
users, and your aliases file will get big, and moving users from one
mailserver to another gets complicated (usually you put everyone on mail1
until it is almost full, then you put all new users on mail2, until it gets
full, etc...) but incoming mail to user@isp.com will work, and this is by
far the easiest to set up and it will scale pretty well.

at an ISP where I worked during the .com, we did this, but we wanted all
users to go to mail.isp.com to get their mail. we wrote a little C program
that listened on port 113 until the pop client issued 'user username' and
then did a lookup (in the aliases file, incidentally... this got really
slow after we passed a million accounts- I re-wrote it to use MySQL and
things performed ok again) to see where the user was and forwarded the
rest of the pop3 session to the correct server. Really this is a minor
tweak and only saves you the trouble of making your users know which mailserver
they need to connect to.

Finally, do a search on "Cyrus murder" essentially the cyrus mailserver
includes support for clustering your mailservers. It's not redundant
(e.g. if you loose a physical server you can loose data) but it performs
well, from what I hear. Cyrus is generally considered to be an
'industrial strength' mailserver.