FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
"Victor Padro"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

Hello all,

I got this tiny problem, I bought an Asus m2n-vm hdmi mobo two weeks ago and it seems not to be fully working under centos amd64(4.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1) or even redhat EL 5.0 i386, amd64, I tried to install centos and redhat EL using the linux dd and linux noprobe commands to load driver disk from nVidia guys but it doesn't detect the HD I'm using their diferent versions of the driver RHEL 4_U5, 4_U6 , 5, 5_U1 , then if I change the IDE config in the BIOS from SATA to AHCI, it detects the SATA HD during the install process, but when it boots up, it tells me to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", but nothing happens...then I change the BIOS IDE setting back to SATA, and it boots but it gives me a kernel panic saying "could not mount such file system, not such file or directory", it doesn't load up the drivers at the linux noprobe way, nor even the forcedeth or the sata_nv.


I read in ubuntu and fedora forums that they're supported in Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and Fedora 7, 8, 9, haven't test them yet though, I want to stick with Centos bcos thats my working enviroment.

What can I do?


Here are my specs:
Asus msn-vm hdmi
Chipset Nvidia GeForce7050PV/nForce630a
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 2.5Ghz Dual core
6Gb RAM Kingston
250 HDD SATA2
LG IDE DVD-ROM

I'm trying to use this setup in my home lab to test out Xen technology and techniques.


cheers,

Victor.

P.S. sorry for my english



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
"Victor Padro"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I got this tiny problem, I bought an Asus m2n-vm hdmi mobo two weeks ago and it seems not to be fully working under centos amd64(4.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1) or even redhat EL 5.0 i386, amd64, I tried to install centos and redhat EL using the linux dd and linux noprobe commands to load driver disk from nVidia guys but it doesn't detect the HD I'm using their diferent versions of the driver RHEL 4_U5, 4_U6 , 5, 5_U1 , then if I change the IDE config in the BIOS from SATA to AHCI, it detects the SATA HD during the install process, but when it boots up, it tells me to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", but nothing happens...then I change the BIOS IDE setting back to SATA, and it boots but it gives me a kernel panic saying "could not mount such file system, not such file or directory", it doesn't load up the drivers at the linux noprobe way, nor even the forcedeth or the sata_nv.



I read in ubuntu and fedora forums that they're supported in Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and Fedora 7, 8, 9, haven't test them yet though, I want to stick with Centos bcos thats my working enviroment.

What can I do?



Here are my specs:
Asus msn-vm hdmi
Chipset Nvidia GeForce7050PV/nForce630a
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 2.5Ghz Dual core
6Gb RAM Kingston
250 HDD SATA2
LG IDE DVD-ROM

I'm trying to use this setup in my home lab to test out Xen technology and techniques.



cheers,

Victor.

P.S. sorry for my english




forgot to say:

I was able to install RHEL 4 with no install parameters, but I can't upgrade using the RHEL 5 DVD, still the same issue..no HD detected in install process.

any suggestions?


thanks in advance.

Victor.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 AM
"Victor Padro"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:



On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:


Hello all,

I got this tiny problem, I bought an Asus m2n-vm hdmi mobo two weeks ago and it seems not to be fully working under centos amd64(4.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1) or even redhat EL 5.0 i386, amd64, I tried to install centos and redhat EL using the linux dd and linux noprobe commands to load driver disk from nVidia guys but it doesn't detect the HD I'm using their diferent versions of the driver RHEL 4_U5, 4_U6 , 5, 5_U1 , then if I change the IDE config in the BIOS from SATA to AHCI, it detects the SATA HD during the install process, but when it boots up, it tells me to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", but nothing happens...then I change the BIOS IDE setting back to SATA, and it boots but it gives me a kernel panic saying "could not mount such file system, not such file or directory", it doesn't load up the drivers at the linux noprobe way, nor even the forcedeth or the sata_nv.




I read in ubuntu and fedora forums that they're supported in Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and Fedora 7, 8, 9, haven't test them yet though, I want to stick with Centos bcos thats my working enviroment.

What can I do?




Here are my specs:
Asus msn-vm hdmi
Chipset Nvidia GeForce7050PV/nForce630a
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 2.5Ghz Dual core
6Gb RAM Kingston
250 HDD SATA2
LG IDE DVD-ROM

I'm trying to use this setup in my home lab to test out Xen technology and techniques.




cheers,

Victor.

P.S. sorry for my english




forgot to say:

I was able to install RHEL 4 with no install parameters, but I can't upgrade using the RHEL 5 DVD, still the same issue..no HD detected in install process.


any suggestions?


thanks in advance.

Victor.




Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 without any problems, debian works without the NIC though, I'll still working on CentOS/RHEL...I suppose this mobo should work under GNU/Linux, am I right?


Hope someone helps...

Victor.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

>I was able to install
RHEL 4 with no install parameters, but I can't upgrade using the RHEL 5 DVD,
still the same issue..no HD detected in install process.






What does your bios say for SATA config? I use many asus mobo’s
for desktop/lab/home setups.


That mobo should work, all mine have the SATA config set to
AHCI.


jlc









_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 AM
"Victor Padro"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Joseph L. Casale <JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

















>I was able to install
RHEL 4 with no install parameters, but I can't upgrade using the RHEL 5 DVD,
still the same issue..no HD detected in install process.







What does your bios say for SATA config? I use many asus mobo's
for desktop/lab/home setups.



That mobo should work, all mine have the SATA config set to
AHCI.



jlc










_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




It supports SATA, RAID and AHCI, SATA and RAID setup doesn't see the HD in the install process, even if you load the driver using a floppy disk from nVidia or loading drivers provided in CentOS/RHEL using the "linux noprobe" parameter.

And the AHCI does install CentOS, but when the install process its finished it boots up and says "could not mount such file system, not such file or directory"

cheers.

Victor.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

>And the AHCI does
install CentOS, but when the install process its finished it boots up and says
"could not mount such file system, not such file or directory"






Hrm, AFAIK you should use AHCI w/ CentOS. As far as it
complaining after boot sounds like it simply didn’t load the module it needed
post install? Bizarre.


Sorry,

jlc







_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 AM
"Victor Padro"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Joseph L. Casale <JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:















>And the AHCI does
install CentOS, but when the install process its finished it boots up and says
"could not mount such file system, not such file or directory"







Hrm, AFAIK you should use AHCI w/ CentOS. As far as it
complaining after boot sounds like it simply didn't load the module it needed
post install? Bizarre.



Sorry,

jlc








_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




I've just tried installing RHEL 5 using the AHCI setting in BIOS, it does install but as I said before "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" screen appears again, and did change the AHCI setting to SATA in BIOS, and boots up with a screen which contains lots of commands/words/keystrings etc.(really don't know the word for that screen in english) but something caught my attention that is:



Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
PCI: BIOS Bug MCFG area at e0000000 is not E020-reserved
PCI: not using MMconfig
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x3
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x4


Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting
*** Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
*** No volume groups found
*** Volume group "VolGroup00" not found

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory

switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 04:27 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

Victor Padro wrote:
I've just tried installing RHEL 5 using the AHCI setting in BIOS, it
does install but as I said before "reboot and select proper boot
device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
screen appears again, and did change the AHCI setting to SATA in BIOS,
and boots up with a screen which contains lots of
commands/words/keystrings etc.(really don't know the word for that
screen in english) but something caught my attention that is:



Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
*PCI: BIOS Bug MCFG area at e0000000 is not E020-reserved*

...


try booting with noacpi but with the BIOS set to AHCI

could be a BIOS upgrade would 'repair' the ACPI info stored in there.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 AM
"Victor Padro"
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:27 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

Victor Padro wrote:


I've just tried installing RHEL 5 using the AHCI setting in BIOS, it does install but as I said before "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" screen appears again, and did change the AHCI setting to SATA in BIOS, and boots up with a screen which contains lots of commands/words/keystrings etc.(really don't know the word for that screen in english) but something caught my attention that is:






Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range

*PCI: BIOS Bug MCFG area at e0000000 is not E020-reserved*


...





try booting with noacpi but with the BIOS set to AHCI


Already did that but same results - reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key




could be a BIOS upgrade would 'repair' the ACPI info stored in there.
I've just upgraded to the last release from Asustek, neither way I guess I could reflash it again.



I've just tried with Fedora 6, 7, with no possitive result and will do FC8 tomorrow(in less than 8 hours), FC9 has the same odd results, the only thing changed there is that it detects nVidia chipset and Graphics card from the beginning, but doesn't recognize HD in the install screen.


cheers.

Victor.


_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos





_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default CentOS 64bits can't boot

try booting with noacpi but with the BIOS set to AHCI


Already did that but same results - reboot and select proper boot
device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key



could be a BIOS upgrade would 'repair' the ACPI info stored in there.


I've just upgraded to the last release from Asustek, neither way I
guess I could reflash it again.



I've just tried with Fedora 6, 7, with no possitive result and will do
FC8 tomorrow(in less than 8 hours), FC9 has the same odd results, the
only thing changed there is that it detects nVidia chipset and
Graphics card from the beginning, but doesn't recognize HD in the
install screen.





ugh. replace it with supported hardware. time is money, life is too
short.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org