FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
David Mackintosh
 
Default DMA mode

Hi folks,

I have an HP Proliant 140DL G2 server with what appears to be an IDE
drive in non-DMA mode. Performance on the server is extremely bad
when large amounts of disk activity is taking place.

I think the problem is that my drive is not in DMA mode:

# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 80026361856, start = 0

...but I can't set it on:

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

...which I think is because the IDE controller isn't really
recognized, or is pretending to be a SATA controller:

# lspci -v | less
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3208
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 193
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at 1470 [size=16]

All the google hits I've seen so far imply I have to build a kernel module
but I'd rather not get into the business of rolling my own kernel if I
don't have to.

I spun through the HP support page for this box/OS combo, and I don't see
any SATA/IDE/ATA drivers, only SCSI/SAS drivers.

So before I continue on, can I get a sanity check here -- am I barking
up the right tree?

--
/oo/
/ /() David Mackintosh |
dave@xdroop.com | http://www.xdroop.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Linux
 
Default DMA mode

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM, David Mackintosh
<David.Mackintosh@xdroop.com> wrote:
> ...which I think is because the IDE controller isn't really
> recognized, or is pretending to be a SATA controller:

For my cruiosity, what is your current kernel version?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
David Mackintosh
 
Default DMA mode

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 06:27:55PM +0300, Linux wrote:

> For my cruiosity, what is your current kernel version?

# uname -a
Linux stargate3 2.6.9-67.0.15.EL #1 Thu May 8 10:39:19 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

yum check-update doesn't show any available kernels, so I presume I'm current.

--
/oo/
/ /() David Mackintosh |
dave@xdroop.com | http://www.xdroop.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
"Tom G. Christensen"
 
Default DMA mode

David Mackintosh wrote:

Hi folks,

I have an HP Proliant 140DL G2 server with what appears to be an IDE
drive in non-DMA mode. Performance on the server is extremely bad
when large amounts of disk activity is taking place.

I think the problem is that my drive is not in DMA mode:

# hdparm /dev/hda

This should be /dev/sda and not /dev/hda which means you're most likely
using the generic-ide driver and not ata-piix.


Google suggests booting with ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe to make sure the
ata-piix driver is used.
If you don't want to reinstall then make sure initrd contains the
ata-piix driver and that references to /dev/hd* are replaced with
/dev/sd* in fstab etc.


-tgc

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Paul Schoonderwoerd
 
Default DMA mode

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 10:17, Tom G. Christensen wrote:
> David Mackintosh wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have an HP Proliant 140DL G2 server with what appears to be an IDE
> > drive in non-DMA mode. Performance on the server is extremely bad
> > when large amounts of disk activity is taking place.
> >
> > I think the problem is that my drive is not in DMA mode:
> >
> > # hdparm /dev/hda
>
> This should be /dev/sda and not /dev/hda which means you're most likely
> using the generic-ide driver and not ata-piix.
>
> Google suggests booting with ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe to make sure the
> ata-piix driver is used.
> If you don't want to reinstall then make sure initrd contains the
> ata-piix driver and that references to /dev/hd* are replaced with
> /dev/sd* in fstab etc.
>
> -tgc

Timing is everything !

I found the exact same problem on a HP Proliant ML110 at the exact time I read
this.
Adding the ide0=noprobe to grub.conf instantly solved the problem. fstab
picked it up itself without any changes and the disks now show up as sda. The
'hdparm -t <disk> went from 3.6 MB/s with /devhda to 76MB/s with /dev/sda.

This would be a good one for the wiki. (or maybe it's already there, didn't
check)

So thanks Tom for you answer. Greatly apreciated (here also).

Regards,

Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 PM
David Mackintosh
 
Default DMA mode

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:17:14AM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote:

> Google suggests booting with ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe to make sure the
> ata-piix driver is used.
> If you don't want to reinstall then make sure initrd contains the
> ata-piix driver and that references to /dev/hd* are replaced with
> /dev/sd* in fstab etc.

Hi Tom,

I can also confirm that this works, thank you for the assistance.

Can I ask what you used as your google query? I think I missed
something obvious.

--
/oo/
/ /() David Mackintosh |
dave@xdroop.com | http://www.xdroop.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
"Tom G. Christensen"
 
Default DMA mode

David Mackintosh wrote:

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:17:14AM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote:

Google suggests booting with ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe to make sure the
ata-piix driver is used.
If you don't want to reinstall then make sure initrd contains the
ata-piix driver and that references to /dev/hd* are replaced with
/dev/sd* in fstab etc.


Hi Tom,

I can also confirm that this works, thank you for the assistance.

Can I ask what you used as your google query? I think I missed
something obvious.

Well I don't remember the exact query I did however I just now searched
for "DL140 Linux SATA" and the third hit is to a thread on the HP ITRC
forums with the suggested fix.


-tgc

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org