Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 PM
"lucian@lastdot.org"

Default sticky bit inside user's dir

Hello there,
I have the following problem. I need a user not to be able to delete
(rm -rf) a dir inside his home directory (a dir which is owned by him).
The sticky bit is supposed to do just that... and it does, in every part
of the file system but in his home.
Same goes for acls (setfacl -m u:user:rx dir), a rm -rf inside his
directory will render the acls useless.
Is there any workaround against that?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:37:43 +0300
"lucian@lastdot.org" <lucian@lastdot.org> wrote:

> Is there any workaround against that?

Use chattr to set it as an immutable file.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 PM
"lucian@lastdot.org"

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:45:21 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:37:43 +0300
> "lucian@lastdot.org" <lucian@lastdot.org> wrote:
>
> > Is there any workaround against that?
>
> Use chattr to set it as an immutable file.

Ah.. yes, I forgot about that. Chattr is not an option (I need to
automate some dir deletions and i cant do that, not even as root if I
use chattr). All I need is to get acls working the way they should (and
prevent rm -rf).
Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Mark Weaver

lucian@lastdot.org wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:45:21 -0600
Use chattr to set it as an immutable file.

Ah.. yes, I forgot about that. Chattr is not an option (I need to
automate some dir deletions and i cant do that, not even as root if I
use chattr). All I need is to get acls working the way they should (and
prevent rm -rf).
Thanks for your reply.

what if you set the group access to root; i.e. username.root. E.g. SGID
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/what-is-sticky-bit-mode-suid-sgid-258719/

--
Mark