Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
"Adrian Marsh"

Default Fastest 4.6 -> 5.1 upgrade path

Hi All,

*

I’ve a question on upgrading Centos with the
least downtime…

*

I’ve a centos 4.6 machine, hosting my local
Centos respository.* I’d like to upgrade the OS to 5.1

*

I’ve practised in a VMware machine upgrading it
by booting from a CD, but I wondered if YUM could do it, whilst keeping the
rest of the machine “alive”.

*

Am I better to shutdown and upgrade, or is yum really
*that* good?

*

Thanks,

*

Adrian

Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 07:51:24AM -0700, Adrian Marsh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve a question on upgrading Centos with the least downtime…
>
> I’ve a centos 4.6 machine, hosting my local Centos respository. I’d
> like to upgrade the OS to 5.1
>
> I’ve practised in a VMware machine upgrading it by booting from a CD,
> but I wondered if YUM could do it, whilst keeping the rest of the
> machine “alive”.
>
> Am I better to shutdown and upgrade, or is yum really *that* good?

I believe the 4.x -> 5.x path via yum is doable but actually tends to
be a bit of work (I think I recall a rather detailed forum post
describing the procedure).

I think the anaconda (from CD) method would probably be your smoothest
option.

Ray

Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
"Adrian Marsh"

Found a thread here that seems to suggest it's the only way:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11128&forum=3
7

Oh Well..

Thanks anyway..

Adrian

Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Johnny Hughes

Adrian Marsh wrote:

Hi All,

I've a question on upgrading Centos with the least downtime...

The best way to accomoplish this is to backup all data and not upgrade
the install at all. That is how Red Hat recommends that you do it for
RHEL and how CentOS recommends it be done as well.

I've a centos 4.6 machine, hosting my local Centos respository. I'd
like to upgrade the OS to 5.1

I've practised in a VMware machine upgrading it by booting from a CD,
but I wondered if YUM could do it, whilst keeping the rest of the
machine "alive".

This method is the best of the upgrade methods, but it will leave behind
old packages and several configuration files will not work and will need
attention.

See this link for the upstream recommendation:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Installation_Guide/ch-upgrade-x86.html

You might spend less total time upgrading (including troubleshooting of
things with problems) if you backup data and just reinstall. I know it
sounds like I am crazy ... but it is easier

Am I better to shutdown and upgrade, or is yum really *that* good?

Yum upgrades are the hardest to do, and are NOT recommended or
supported. They can be accomplished in stages, however it is easy to
get a non-bootable system.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

I did the upgrade dance with yum once when going from Fedora 5 to 7. It
worked, but took a lot of time and left a helluva' lot of obscure lib-failures
and stuff. I eventually got it working but I never felt sure it wouldn't fail
on me whenever. After running the upgraded system for a month or so w/o any
problems, I decided to do a fresh install from scratch with CentOS5 and clear
all FUD I had left.

Yum -upgrades works, but you'll potentially spend a lot of time clearing and
fixing problems afterwards. You want a quick install, do a fresh one. Don't
forget to backup your data first though.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
MHR

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did the upgrade dance with yum once when going from Fedora 5 to 7. It
> worked, but took a lot of time and left a helluva' lot of obscure lib-failures
> and stuff. I eventually got it working but I never felt sure it wouldn't fail
> on me whenever. After running the upgraded system for a month or so w/o any
> problems, I decided to do a fresh install from scratch with CentOS5 and clear
> all FUD I had left.
>
> Yum -upgrades works, but you'll potentially spend a lot of time clearing and
> fixing problems afterwards. You want a quick install, do a fresh one. Don't
> forget to backup your data first though.

I upgrade between minor releases, and that seems to work fairly well.
But for any major release, I'd go for a clean install.

mhr

Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Couldn't agree more. Personally I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I
certainly got my hands full... 8-)