Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Johnny Hughes

Default Setting up a chroot

MHR wrote:

I'm trying to build GNOME (to run a more recent version than 2.16.* on
CentOS 5.1) and I keep running into a lot of rather strange problems.

I'm wondering if this might have something to do with my hybrid 64 and
32 bit general environment, so I want to try a pure 64-bit chroot.

I've never done this before, and I'm not entirely sure how to, and I
didn't see anything particularly on point, either at centos.org or
google. If I missed it, just say where and that should be enough.

Guidelines? Suggestions (other than "go away" or other physically
difficult crudities :-)?

Probably the best thing to do is to use mock to build in.

You provide it with some repos and it automatically creates a chroot to
build things.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock

That has some instructions, though you should be able to yum install mock.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Mark Hull-Richter

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 13:52 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Probably the best thing to do is to use mock to build in.
>
> You provide it with some repos and it automatically creates a chroot to
> build things.

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock
>
> That has some instructions, though you should be able to yum install mock.

That doesn't seem to work with the "standard" repositories - is there
one in particular where this lives?

I tried downloading a source tarball, but it has dependencies that
neither I nor yum recognized....

Thanka.

mhr

Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Johnny Hughes

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

Probably the best thing to do is to use mock to build in.

You provide it with some repos and it automatically creates a chroot to
build things.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock

That has some instructions, though you should be able to yum install mock.

That doesn't seem to work with the "standard" repositories - is there
one in particular where this lives?

I tried downloading a source tarball, but it has dependencies that
neither I nor yum recognized....

yum list mock:

Available Packages
mock.x86_64 0.6.13-1.el5.centos.1 extras

Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> yum list mock:
>
> Available Packages
> mock.x86_64 0.6.13-1.el5.centos.1 extras

Hmm, I'd better check my repos and so forth - that did not show up in
my yum list....

Is that CentOS extras or KB's or - never mind. I'll just look.

Thanks!

mhr