Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Gregg McClintic

Default Frequent Gnome Terminal crashes in CentOS 5.1

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:23 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded all my systems to CentOS 5.1 I have been
> getting reports from users about "all their windows disappearing". A
> little digging revealed that they meant all gnome-terminal windows.
> Since there is only one gnome-terminal process by default for all
> your open terminal windows and tabs, a crash of that process means
> losing all your terminal windows. These crashes often (but not
> always) occur over night when the system is otherwise idle.
>
> A quick Google search found a problem on Ubuntu related to VTE (the
> terminal emulator widget used by gnome-terminal) but not much else of
> interest. Has anyone on this list experienced this? I find it hard
> to believe I'm the only one. I never saw this issue while running
> CentOS 4.X on these systems...
>
> Alfred

I've seen extreme slow gnome terminals in the past on Cent 5, I even
downgraded the package for the terminal to make it work better.

Never had it close randomly. I have however had applications randomly
close other then the terminal.

Gregg.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Johnny Hughes

Alfred von Campe wrote:
Ever since I upgraded all my systems to CentOS 5.1 I have been getting
reports from users about "all their windows disappearing". A little
digging revealed that they meant all gnome-terminal windows. Since
there is only one gnome-terminal process by default for all your open
terminal windows and tabs, a crash of that process means losing all your
terminal windows. These crashes often (but not always) occur over night
when the system is otherwise idle.

A quick Google search found a problem on Ubuntu related to VTE (the
terminal emulator widget used by gnome-terminal) but not much else of
interest. Has anyone on this list experienced this? I find it hard to
believe I'm the only one. I never saw this issue while running CentOS
4.X on these systems...

How did you upgrade?

I am running CentOS-5 on many workstations that stay on all the time and
I have never had the gnome-terminal crash.

Is it possible that you have older (possibly orphaned) binaries still
installed from the upgrade process?

If this is from a NEW install, then we need more info to help.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Alfred von Campe