Old 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
David Halik

Default nfsnobody 65534 vs 4294967294

Hi, I just had a couple of questions about nfsnobody.

We run a very large NFS infrastructure based off of a NetApp, and we're
been discussing whether or not it is necessary to have 64 bit nfsnobody
as 4294967294. I understand the reasoning behind this (2^32 - 2 gives
you a max UID), but we're having issues since we run multiple
architectures. The UID doesn't play nice across Solairs, Centos, 32 vs
64bit, etc.

Are there any obvious security risks or problems with using nfsnobody as
65534 (2^16 - 2) on 64bit, or even just assigning it a random value, 300
for example? I can't see any particular reason for having such a high
number other than to keep it above any possible real UID space.

Also, the NetApp automatically generates quota tables based off of the
highest UID, so obviously this is a *major* problem if suddenly we have
billions of users as far as the NetApp is concerned. Ultimately, we'd
like to just assign it a low value in the range with our other system
account, but we are not sure of the potential risks with NFS etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!