Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Wojtek Pilorz

Default Low-memory Centos5?

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 02:12:38PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> >Good morning,
> >
> >I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> >use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> >bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> >Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> >little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
[...]
> >Jeff
> >

> As others have said, you should be fine with 384MB RAM. One thing to
> note - I think the graphical installer requires 512MB to run (check the
> release notes) so you would need to perform a text mode install. Do a
> fairly minimal install and add whatever you want afterwards with YUM.
If no additional repositories are selected during installation,
384MB should be OK with graphical.
If you want to be sure, run it over vnc
(needs specifying vnc vncpassword=a_password when starting installer)
(and keep in mind vnc is unencrypted protocol;

Graphical installer tends to be more complete than text in later RedHat systems.

BTW. I am using CentOS 4.6 with KDE on P4 with 128MB RAM.
Perhaps not stellar performance, but quite usable.
(And I do not run OpenOffice and firefox at the same time...)

Good luck,

Wojtek.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Jeffrey B. Layton <> scribbled on Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:31 PM:

I use CentOS 5.1 with 256M RAM (incl X, Gnome, Firefox etc and the proprietary
Nvidia 3D gfx drivers. Yes I know it's overkill, but it's so much nicer and
easier to move around stuff using a file manager instead of doing it on the
CLI) in a web server scenario (single family site with lots of pics). Works
very well and I haven't had any problems, except for that yum maxes out the
CPU (Amd Duron/750) occasionally.

This is a stationary computer, and an old one at that. Portables however have
a history of being slower generally (especially older ones), so you might want
to inform us on what other hw you have in yours.

XFCE is nice, fast and slick. Good choice. You might want to shut down most
daemons you don't have a need for.

I've been running CentOS 5 on a P3/500 with 256M as well (It's a Best
Okechobee). Works fine, but some hardware might need some tweaking. I run X,
Gnome, Firefox and OpenOffice et all on this one. CentOS even found my obscure
noname USB-to-Ethernet adapter too! This machine runs fine and I haven't run
into anything strange or difficult to resolve. Life is good.

HTH.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Bob Taylor

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:12 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> > use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> > bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> > Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> > little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
> > Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
> > thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
> > manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
> > card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?

> As others have said, you should be fine with 384MB RAM. One thing to
> note - I think the graphical installer requires 512MB to run (check the
> release notes) so you would need to perform a text mode install. Do a
> fairly minimal install and add whatever you want afterwards with YUM.

I have been running FC 3 and now CentOS 5.1 on an old Gateway 2000 with
only 256MB RAM. Both installed with GUI. Only some editing of services.
I have 1 Gig of swap. I currently have 1 instance of emacs, Evolution,
CDDBSlave2, Firefox 2.0.0.12 and 2 Gnome terminals plus a whole lot of
services running most of which I *hope* I don't need. Screen refresh is
slow but not too much. The machine starts to *really* slow down after
about 15% swap. All I do is logout. Oh, this is my only computer. If
anyone wants to tell me to buy a new one, please send me the money.
Otherwise keep your silence. :-)

Bob
--
Bob Taylor

Old 05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
MHR

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Jeffrey B. Layton <laytonjb@charter.net> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
> Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
> thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
> manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
> card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have an old Toshiba Tecra laptop with a P3 running 600MHz and 256MB
of memory. I installed CentOS 5.1 with the graphical installer, and
it runs GNOME fairly well. It's slow (compared to my main desktop,
but that's an AMD 64x2 4200+ with 4GB of memory), but I expect that
with an older, slower CPU like this (as opposed to a molasses crawl
/old/ CPU :-). I use OOo 2.4 on it, and that is also slow, but it
runs, and I always use the command line interface whenever I can, but
that's 'cuz I'm more comfortable there, and it works nicely all
around.

YMMV

mhr

Old 05-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 07:31 -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> little memory?

We have CentOS 5 running on one Desktop with 384 MB of RAM.
Our other 2 Desktops have 512 MB. It runs OK. I doubt that you running
it on a Laptop with 384 MB would be any different. Obviously, it will
run more slowly, but, it_will_run. I have installed GNOME/KDE and a LOT
of stuff, on all 3 boxes and the box with 384 MB does not seem to have
any issues.