Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
"Jeffrey B. Layton"

Default Low-memory Centos5?

Good morning,

I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA!

Jeff

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
D Steward

IMO, CentOS is not a good choice for old hardware with small amounts of
ram, esp since the apps you want to use (Fx2 and OoO) are notorious for
being profligate with ram.

If no-one here can point you to a Redhat-based distro with modest
requirements, you could check out Zenwalk, which uses XFCE. It is a
slackware-based distro and is famous for including only one app for each
task and running like the blazes on old hardware.
It is not a cutdown semi-useable distro like DSl and puppy.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 29 May 2008 12:31:17 Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
> Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
> thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
> manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
> card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?

For a time I ran FC6 on a laptop with only 256MB RAM, and I ran kde! It was
slow, yes, but quite usable as long as I did one thing at a time.
Considering the similarity between FC6 and CentOS5 I would think you'd be OK,
using it with care. ISTR that Firefox occasionally caused runaway cpu, but I
doubt if the same problem exists in the current CentOS version.

Anne

Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Wojtek Pilorz

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 07:31:17AM -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
> use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
> bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
> Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
> little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
I was running FedoraCore6 (very close to CentOS5)
on a P4 box with 256MB of RAM, using KDE.

OpenOffice (word, calc) was usable once it started, startup
was rather slow.
yum update was painful, I had to run it from text mode sometimes.
With 384MB and IceWM or XFCE you should be OK
(although I am not sure if Firefox and OpenOffice at the same
time will be possible ...)
One problem with old firefox is that it is (said to be) leaking memory
so restarting it every few hours of so might be useful.
I seem to remember that opera was advertised as being
less memory hungry than firefox.

> Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
No eclipse, of course.

> thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
> manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
> card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?
No idea here.

Good luck,

Wojtek

Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Max Hetrick

Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 29 May 2008 13:22:15 Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
> I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
>
> > card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?
>
> No idea here.

I'm fairly sure I've seen a how-to for that, so it's worth googling. I may
have a printout with a url, but I can't look just now.

Anne

Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

Good morning,

I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?
I have a number of 256Mb Centos installs here with Gnome. I shut off as
many services as possible, and it runs. I made the swap partition (Yes I
manually create a separate swap partition instead of running it in LVM)
at least 512Mb if not more.

Firefox 1.5 works fine. Watch yourself with OpenOffice, don't have too
much running.

One trick I do with Centos servers running with only 256Mb, is run
VNCserver and then from my notebook access with Gnome. This works great,
only a one line change in the vnc files to have Gnome as your GUI on the
server.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Ned Slider

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

Good morning,

I've inherited an old laptop from my wife that I'd like to
use when I travel (it's fairly small with a 12" screen). The
bad part is that it is maxed out on memory with 384MB.
Has anyone played with using Centos5 on systems with
little memory? Ideally, I don't need too much - Firefox,
Openoffice, a little Perl/Python/C here and there. I was
thinking about using either XFCE or Icewm as the window
manager. I'd also like it to work with the existing wireless
card (Dlink DWL-G650). Any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA!

Jeff

As others have said, you should be fine with 384MB RAM. One thing to
note - I think the graphical installer requires 512MB to run (check the
release notes) so you would need to perform a text mode install. Do a
fairly minimal install and add whatever you want afterwards with YUM.