Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

Default FireFox

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Robert Spangler
<mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if there are plans to update Firefox to the new 3.0 for
> Centos 4.5? Seems like only the 1.5 version has been placed in the repos and
> I think it should be time for an upgrade.
>
> If I'm looking in the wrong place let me know also. Thnx.

It will depend upon if Red Hat will release a version for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux. The best bet will be that they will not release it
until RHEL-4.7 goes into beta testing.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Scott Silva

on 5-27-2008 4:22 PM Robert Spangler spake the following:
Can anyone tell me if there are plans to update Firefox to the new 3.0 for
Centos 4.5? Seems like only the 1.5 version has been placed in the repos and
I think it should be time for an upgrade.

If I'm looking in the wrong place let me know also. Thnx.

I wouldn't count on it. CentOS 4 (now at 4.6) is in maintenance only mode, and
unless someone adds it to plus, I doubt it will make it in.

From the CentOS wiki;

<quote>

How long will CentOS-4 updates be supported?
We intend to support CentOS-4 updates until Feb 29, 2012.

The current plan is this:

Full Updates (including hardware updates): Currently to Feb 29, 2008

Maintenance Updates: Mar 1, 2008 to Feb 29, 2012

Full Updates - During the Full Updates phase, new hardware support will be
provided at the discretion of CentOS via Update Sets. Additionally, all
available and qualified errata will be provided via Update Sets (or
individually {and immediately} for Security level errata.) Update Sets
normally will be released 2-4 times per year, with new ISOs released as part
of each Update Set. In the 4.x numbering scheme, the .x is the number of the
Update Set.

Maintenance Updates - During the Maintenance updates phase, only Security
errata and select mission critical bug fixes will be released. There will be
few, if any, Update Sets released.

</quote>

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Robert Spangler

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 19:31, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Robert Spangler
>
> <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me if there are plans to update Firefox to the new 3.0
> > for Centos 4.5? Seems like only the 1.5 version has been placed in the
> > repos and I think it should be time for an upgrade.
> >
> > If I'm looking in the wrong place let me know also. Thnx.
>
> It will depend upon if Red Hat will release a version for Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux. The best bet will be that they will not release it
> until RHEL-4.7 goes into beta testing.

Can I use one out of the Fedora's repos? If so, which repo?

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!
Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org

Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 AM
MHR

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Robert Spangler
<mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Can I use one out of the Fedora's repos? If so, which repo?

You can just pull down the latest version from mozilla.org - they're
pretty good about compatibility. I'd try it out in a different
install directory, though, just to be sure, but you can always
uninstall it and re-load the release version if it doesn't work right
for you.

mhr

Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 17:19 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Robert Spangler
> <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> >
> > Can I use one out of the Fedora's repos? If so, which repo?
> >

> You can just pull down the latest version from mozilla.org - they're
> pretty good about compatibility. I'd try it out in a different
> install directory, though, just to be sure, but you can always
> uninstall it and re-load the release version if it doesn't work right
> for you.

I chose not to uninstall the distributed one. I unpackaed the 3.0rc1
tarball in the $HOME of a user and run it from there.

]$ ls -l bin/firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hardtolove hardtolove 32 May 21 13:07 bin/firefox
-> /home/hardtolove/firefox/firefox

Then, modify PATH assignment in ~/.bash_profile to something like this

$ echo $PATH
/home/hardtolove/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

This lets all other users get the box-stock version while I test the new
one. So far it's looking pretty good.

> mhr
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Spangler wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there are plans to update Firefox to the new 3.0 for
Centos 4.5? Seems like only the 1.5 version has been placed in the repos and
I think it should be time for an upgrade.

I have a Firefox3 beta3 rpm for CentOS-4 that works in parallel with the
distro firefox. once Firefox3 is released upstream I will get that built
for CentOS-4 and put that in the CentOS Plus repo.

- KB

Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 12:53 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Spangler wrote:
> ><snip>

> I have a Firefox3 beta3 rpm for CentOS-4 that works in parallel with the
> distro firefox. once Firefox3 is released upstream I will get that built
> for CentOS-4 and put that in the CentOS Plus repo.

JIC you might have an interest (saves work later, more stable than beta,
whatever), they have released an rc1 that I've been running the last
week or so.

> - KB
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Karanbir Singh

William L. Maltby wrote:
>> I have a Firefox3 beta3 rpm for CentOS-4 that works in parallel with the
>> distro firefox. once Firefox3 is released upstream I will get that built
>> for CentOS-4 and put that in the CentOS Plus repo.
>
> JIC you might have an interest (saves work later, more stable than beta,
> whatever), they have released an rc1 that I've been running the last
> week or so.

I did the rpm to work out and prep an rpmbuild spec for it, not really
so much as to use it. I'm still using the distro supplied firefox on my
c4 machines still. Once ff3 is out of the door, will eval that as well.
Besides, release is not far now....

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Bernhard Gschaider

WLM> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 17:19 -0700, MHR wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Robert Spangler
>> <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Can I use one out of the Fedora's repos? If so, which repo?
>> >

>> You can just pull down the latest version from mozilla.org -
<snipped>

WLM> I chose not to uninstall the distributed one. I unpackaed the
WLM> 3.0rc1 tarball in the $HOME of a user and run it from there.

<snipped recipe>

WLM> This lets all other users get the box-stock version while I
WLM> test the new one. So far it's looking pretty good.

Question: if I do this, will I be able to move back to the
stock-1.5-version without problems. In other words: is the stuff like
bookmarks, history etc that is written to disk backward-compatible?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 AM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> It will depend upon if Red Hat will release a version for Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux. The best bet will be that they will not release it
> until RHEL-4.7 goes into beta testing.

It looks like there is a good chance it will be included in 4.7:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2008-May/msg00052.html

(- Added Firefox3)

Take care,
Daniel