Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Kent West

Default Firefox

On 10/23/10 2:21 AM, Volkan YAZICI wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Mark <markthema3@gmail.com> writes:

whenever I open up firefox it crashes. I can't figure out why

Try starting it with fresh configurations. That is,

$ mv ~/.mozilla/firefox ~/.mozilla/firefox.bak
$ firefox

Or try starting in Safe Mode: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Linux

On Linux, you can go to your Terminal and run (for Firefox):

/path/to/firefox/firefox -safe-mode

--*
Kent

Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Michael

Is it necessary to use the Ubuntu branded Firefox? What, if any, are
the advantages or benefits of using it over the generic package?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Kai Presler-Marshall

Not necessary.* I haven't noticed any benefits vs the generic Firefox package (Ubuntu 10.10)

Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 PM
"David C. Curtis"

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 12:40 -0500, Michael wrote:
> Is it necessary to use the Ubuntu branded Firefox? What, if any, are
> the advantages or benefits of using it over the generic package?

From the xul-ext-ubufox package description:

"Adds Ubuntu-specific modifications to Firefox.

Integrates the browser with Ubuntu to:

* Enable searching for missing plugins from Ubuntu software catalog
* Add the following options to the Help menu
- Get help on-line
- Help translating Firefox
- Ubuntu Release Notes
* Set homepage to Ubuntu Start Page
* Display a restart notification after upgrading Firefox
* Add ask.com to the search engines.

You can uninstall this if you prefer to use a pristine Firefox
install."

Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Daniel D Jones

Can anyone explain why it takes so long for Firefox-bin to be unmasked?
That's not intended to be a rant or finger-pointing, but a serious question. I
can certainly understand the issues involved with ensuring that a complex
package compiles on various systems with all sorts of different drivers and
set-ups. But the -bin package is a precompiled binary that's merely
installed. It seems like it should be pretty simple and straightforward to
ensure that it works and unmask it.

Firefox just released 5.0 and announced that all development, including bug
fixes and security updates, had halted on 4.0. They plan to hold to similar
short-release cycles in the future. It's been four months since 4.0 was
released and it's still masked. If future releases see similar delays in
unmasking, Gentoo users will soon be two or three versions behind. We'll be
forced to either manually install, unmask the masked package, or run a
potentially buggy, insecure version. Any insight into the delay of unmasking
the binary verion that would help me understand the issue greatly appreciated.

--
"It seems to me that it is madder never to abandon one's self than often to be
infatuated; better to be wounded, a captive and a slave, than always to walk

Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Monday, June 27 at 19:52 (-0400), Daniel D Jones said:

> Can anyone explain why it takes so long for Firefox-bin to be unmasked?
[etc.]

Have you gone to bugs.gentoo.org and submitted a stabilization request?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Norman Silverstone

I am using Firefox 15.0.1 and Xubuntu 12.04. The following web site:-

http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim

opens partially and then stops.

What do I need to make the site work, please?

Norman

Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Marc Coevoet

I am using Firefox 15.0.1 and Xubuntu 12.04. The following web site:-

http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim

opens partially and then stops.

What do I need to make the site work, please?

It is not a ubuntu problem, the site is unknown or down:

marc@sony:~$ nslookup www.imageaircraft.com.au
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find www.imageaircraft.com.au: NXDOMAIN

marc@sony:~$ nslookup imageaircraft.com.au
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find imageaircraft.com.au: NXDOMAIN

marc@sony:~$ nslookup radio1.be
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: radio1.be
Address: 95.130.42.37

marc@sony:~$

Marc

http://shortwave dot tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations dot tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages dot tk

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Norman Silverstone

I am using Firefox 15.0.1 and Xubuntu 12.04. The following web site:-

http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim

opens partially and then stops.

What do I need to make the site work, please?

It is not a ubuntu problem, the site is unknown or down:

marc@sony:~$ nslookup www.imageaircraft.com.au
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find www.imageaircraft.com.au: NXDOMAIN

marc@sony:~$ nslookup imageaircraft.com.au
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find imageaircraft.com.au: NXDOMAIN

marc@sony:~$ nslookup radio1.be
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: radio1.be
Address: 95.130.42.37

marc@sony:~$

Then why is it that when I click on the site I get a page appear?

Norman