Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Basil Chupin

Default firefox

On 24/07/10 02:46, Preston Hagar wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Ummm, I don't know where you are because your gmail address tells no one
>> anything - which is why most people use, I guess, because it hides their
>> identity; but don't quote me as I have never used any qmail or yahoo or
>> anything else goobly-dooky except my own ISPs' facilities for mail and
>> their maibox facilities. If your ISP doesn't give you the flexibility to
>> have what you want then you should consider looking for another ISP, no?
>>

>> BC
>>

> > From your email it looks like you are in Australia.

Correct - Canberra, the nation's Capital.

> I live in the US,
> specifically Dallas/Fort Worth Texas. In Dallas/Fort Worth, two
> companies, Verizon and AT&T own 95% of the physical copper and/or
> fiber lines that run throughout the Metroplex.

That doesn't really sound like America where competition is the altar at
which everyone worships every second of their living day :-) .

However, having stated this, 99.9% of our copper wire was installed
since time immemorial by one organisation which started off as a
government department, The Postmaster General's Department, but now half
of which is privatised and called Telstra (ahem, just to be confusing,
both parts are called Telstra but one part is still under government
majority control....if you see what I mean...)

> Areas of the city are
> "Verizon territory" or "AT&T territory" and the two (to the best of my
> knowledge) never share an area. On top of that, Verizon and AT&T are
> not required to allow 3rd party ISPs to use their lines, or at least
> they can make them jump through so many hoops that no one can meet the
> requirements to use the lines.

Aaaah! Is this the reason why we have had/are having with so much
trouble with our Telstra!

Just a background, back when your Johnson was the Pres. he called in an
AT&T minnion and told him that "I want you to go and run Telecom [now
Telstra]". Ever since then we have had hassles - and especially with the
last American heading Telstra which we finally managed to get rid of
called Trujillo (and his cronies).

> The creates an effective monoply for
> the ISPs depending on where you live. Typically, your ISP options
> will be one of the two cable companies (whichever one is in your area)
> and either Verizon or AT&T. In some areas, you may have a few 3rd
> party ISP options. Where I currently live, I have the cable company
> or Verizon. I had, for a while, a reseller ISP (that used Verizon's
> lines) called DSLExtreme, but Verizon has decided they don't want the
> competition and won't renew the agreement allowing them to resell
> their fiber. There is nothing DSLExtreme or anyone can do about it.
> If Verizon doesn't want to let them, they don't have to.
>
> With most ISP emails, the typical account allows for about 100MB of
> storage, at most, but that honestly isn't the worst part. If you move
> apartments/houses, you loose your email account. 2 years ago I moved
> about 10 miles (stayed within Dallas/Fort Worth). I went from an AT&T
> area to a Verizon area. If my email address had been with AT&T, I
> would have lost it. Since it was with GMail, I had no issue.
>
> Another issue with using ISP email is something I could see you
> facing: It locks you in. You said yourself that you switched ISPs a
> few years ago because of the poor spam filters your previous ISP used.
> What if, for whatever reason, your current ISP fires their CIO/emain
> admin, and the new guy then decides to completely change the spam
> filters and make them more like your previous ISP? Or, what if your
> current ISP decides to double their rates starting next month (not
> sure if it is allowed in Australia. It is allowed in the US)? If you
> want to switch again, you have to go through the pain of changing the
> email address for all your mailing list subscriptions, notifying
> everyone that emails you of your new address, and then risk possibly
> missing emails from people who didn't get the notification of your
> switch once you move. A service like GMail is ISP agnostic. It stays
> with you no matter where you go.
>
> That is the main reason I won't ever use any ISPs email and I
> encourage everyone else to stay away from them as well.

I am so sorry that you live in a third-world country :-( .

My heart goes out to you, :-( and everyone else in your country using
the internet.... :-( .

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 05:31:00PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> >> Ummm, I don't know where you are because your gmail address tells no one anything - which is why most people use, I guess, because it hides their
> >> identity; but don't quote me as I have never used any qmail or yahoo or anything else goobly-dooky except my own ISPs' facilities for mail and
> >> their maibox facilities. If your ISP doesn't give you the flexibility to have what you want then you should consider looking for another ISP, no?
> >>
> > I have my own hosted server in Chicago (or Dallas now, I guess) for
> > personal mail, plus a server for work using IMAP.
> >
> > For mailing lists though, I use GMail because I don't care to store
> > the hundreds of thousands of old e-mails on my own storage, or storage
> > I'm paying for. Google gives me something like 8GB of mail storage
> > for free, they host it,
>

> I've read your response but won't respond to it para by para if you
> don't mind :-) .
>
> I see that Billie has really stated which I would have stated anyway -
> TB has all the facilities to do everything you want to do.
>
> But there is one comment I will make here which I will be repeating to
> Preston in a minute or so and that it seems that you are really living
> in a third-world country where you have no competition but are forced to
> only use 2 service provider systems.

Yup. That's us here in the U.S. It's called Capitalism. Also known as
the Golden Rule....he who has the gold makes the rules.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 07-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Basil Chupin

On 24/07/10 18:03, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 05:31:00PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I have my own hosted server in Chicago (or Dallas now, I guess) for
>>> personal mail, plus a server for work using IMAP.
>>>
>>> For mailing lists though, I use GMail because I don't care to store
>>> the hundreds of thousands of old e-mails on my own storage, or storage
>>> I'm paying for. Google gives me something like 8GB of mail storage
>>> for free, they host it,
>>>

>> I've read your response but won't respond to it para by para if you
>> don't mind :-) .
>>
>> I see that Billie has really stated which I would have stated anyway -
>> TB has all the facilities to do everything you want to do.
>>
>> But there is one comment I will make here which I will be repeating to
>> Preston in a minute or so and that it seems that you are really living
>> in a third-world country where you have no competition but are forced to
>> only use 2 service provider systems.
>>
> Yup. That's us here in the U.S. It's called Capitalism. Also known as
> the Golden Rule....he who has the gold makes the rules.

:-)

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Joy Methew

hello all,
i have centos system remotely. i login there via ssh -X
server ip.
i am trying run firefox there it`s showing some error like that.

Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: cannot open display: :0.0

any suggestion...it`s urgent.

thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Santhosh A

you can either use 'sux -' instead of 'su' or just enter 'xhost +localhost'

HTH
Santhosh

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Georgios Magklaras

i have centos system remotely. i login there via ssh -X
server ip.
i am trying run firefox there it`s showing some error like that.

Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: cannot open display: :0.0

any suggestion...it`s urgent.

thanks
ssh -X enables X11 forwarding. Not trusted X11 forwarding. Trusted X
forwarding, which might be what you want, is used with the -Y flag.

ssh -Y user@hostname

Does it work?

GM

George Magklaras
Senior Systems Engineer/IT Manager
Biotek Center, University of Oslo
EMBnet TMPC Chair

http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Tel: +47 22840535

Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Mark

whenever I open up firefox it crashes. I can't figure out why

Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
jeremy jozwik

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Mark <markthema3@gmail.com> wrote:
> whenever I open up firefox it crashes. I can't figure out why

launch via terminal.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Ron Johnson