Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Suvayu Ali

Default firefox

On Sunday 11 April 2010 04:50 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> You can create a file in yum.repos.d with the following content:
>
> [flash]
> name=flash
> baseurl=http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/compiz/fusion-testing/flashplayer.x86_64/
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-leigh123linux
>
> Then install the flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1 64bit plugin
>
> This will not guarantee that things will work. The 64 bit version of
> Firefox still has problems with some flash sites.

Could you point me to some examples I could test?

--
Suvayu

Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Paolo Galtieri

On 04/11/2010 05:05 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Sunday 11 April 2010 04:50 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>
>> You can create a file in yum.repos.d with the following content:
>>
>> [flash]
>> name=flash
>> baseurl=http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/compiz/fusion-testing/flashplayer.x86_64/
>> enabled=1
>> gpgcheck=1
>> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-leigh123linux
>>
>> Then install the flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1 64bit plugin
>>
>> This will not guarantee that things will work. The 64 bit version of
>> Firefox still has problems with some flash sites.
>>

> Could you point me to some examples I could test?
>

>> Paolo

The safaribooksonline.com website uses flash heavily. In the past I
have had firefox crash repeatedly on this site.

Paolo

Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/12/2010 05:42 AM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> The safaribooksonline.com website uses flash heavily. In the past I
> have had firefox crash repeatedly on this site.

Quick note: Firefox 3.6.x will be pushed out as an update in sometime,
features out of progress plugins. Essentially, if Flash or any other
plugin crashes on that version onwards, it will not take down the
entire browser anymore. You can simply reload the page and continue.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/lorentz/

Rahul

Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/11/2010 08:26 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Quick note: Firefox 3.6.x will be pushed out as an update in sometime,
> features out of progress plugins. Essentially, if Flash or any other
> plugin crashes on that version onwards, it will not take down the
> entire browser anymore. You can simply reload the page and continue.

Or just switch to google-chrome - its way way faster and doesn't crash
or suck memory up like there's no tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Sunday 11 April 2010 05:12 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 05:05 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Sunday 11 April 2010 04:50 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>>
>>> You can create a file in yum.repos.d with the following content:
>>>
>>> [flash]
>>> name=flash
>>> baseurl=http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/compiz/fusion-testing/flashplayer.x86_64/
>>> enabled=1
>>> gpgcheck=1
>>> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-leigh123linux
>>>
>>> Then install the flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1 64bit plugin
>>>
>>> This will not guarantee that things will work. The 64 bit version of
>>> Firefox still has problems with some flash sites.
>>>

>> Could you point me to some examples I could test?
>>

>>> Paolo
>>>

> The safaribooksonline.com website uses flash heavily. In the past I
> have had firefox crash repeatedly on this site.

Yes indeed. crashes like crazy. I have used that website before but
that was a long time back, I don't remember having an experience like this.

--
Suvayu

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Sunday 11 April 2010 05:32 PM, Mail Lists wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 08:26 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Quick note: Firefox 3.6.x will be pushed out as an update in sometime,
>> features out of progress plugins. Essentially, if Flash or any other
>> plugin crashes on that version onwards, it will not take down the
>> entire browser anymore. You can simply reload the page and continue.
>

> Or just switch to google-chrome - its way way faster and doesn't crash
> or suck memory up like there's no tomorrow.

On my system its the exact opposite! I'm on 64 bit F11.

--
Suvayu

Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/11/2010 08:35 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Or just switch to google-chrome - its way way faster and doesn't crash
>> or suck memory up like there's no tomorrow.
>
> On my system its the exact opposite! I'm on 64 bit F11.

I use the 64 bit google-chrome beta too but on f12 ... using sun java
and 64 bit flash ... no troubles yet ...

Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/12/2010 06:02 AM, Mail Lists wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 08:26 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>> Quick note: Firefox 3.6.x will be pushed out as an update in sometime,
>> features out of progress plugins. Essentially, if Flash or any other
>> plugin crashes on that version onwards, it will not take down the
>> entire browser anymore. You can simply reload the page and continue.
>>

> Or just switch to google-chrome - its way way faster and doesn't crash
> or suck memory up like there's no tomorrow.

I don't have any memory problems with Firefox. I am also uninterested
in switching to a proprietary browser. I have Chromium running on my
system to evaluate progress.

Rahul

Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/11/2010 08:46 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> I don't have any memory problems with Firefox. I am also uninterested
> in switching to a proprietary browser. I have Chromium running on my
> system to evaluate progress.

Whatever works for you ... chromium has some problems however so not a
good test of google-chrome.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/12/2010 06:20 AM, Mail Lists wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 08:46 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>> I don't have any memory problems with Firefox. I am also uninterested
>> in switching to a proprietary browser. I have Chromium running on my
>> system to evaluate progress.
>>
> Whatever works for you ... chromium has some problems however so not a
> good test of google-chrome

Chromium is upstream for Google Chrome. So it is only a snapshot of
development that determines whether one has a problem the other does
not. Chrome also has a very unacceptable EULA. I am sure most users
just clicked through that without thinking about it however.

Rahul