Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Tim

Default firefox

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 15:04 +0100, Nick wrote:
> Running F10 can anyone tell me how to stop firefox switching back to
> offline mode every time it starts

Sounds like the same issue people had with it, and other programs, on
Fedora 9. Network manager can erroneously report that the system is
off-line, and certain software would drop into off-line mode.

If you don't use network manager, then completely turn off the service.
And it should stop affecting software in that manner.

If you don't want Firefox to be controlled by it, then you can turn that
feature off in Firefox. Type about:config into the address bar, type
networkmanager into the filter bar, change the
toolkit.networkmanager.disable preference value to true (double clicking
it will toggle its status).

There's probably a similar problem, and solution, for Thunderbird.
Evolution also gets affected by NetworkManager, but I've not looked for
a work around. I just make sure the network's up before I start the
program.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 AM

Nick wrote:
> This is a new clean install of f10
> All I did after the install was yum update and let it do everything it
> wanted

with a clean install, there are several things that you must set up.

networking is not the least of important ones. it actually should be
considered as first to get working correctly.

internet browser and email clients shortly after. so you can get help
setting up networking. )

> Im still getting f10 running so got no other mail other than hotmail a the
> moment

being that you are moving to linux, it may well be beneficial to move
up to gmail asap. and you should set up your service provider account
in thunderbird in event that you have problems with gmail.

hotmail is 'ms oriented' and therefore there will be problems you do not
need to be bothered by. several have occurred in past 30 days with their
'improvement updates'.

gmail is very 'linux friendly' and if you have installed thunderbird,
being that you are moving out of ms. it is knowledgeable of gmail setup.
there are other linux email clients if you are so inclined to learn them.

> there is no prior linux

it is not msbsos windows, but it is easy to learn.

> im beginning in linux

welcome to a whole new world of computers and enjoyment.

as poc stated in his post, 'networkmanager' is a service that you will
be better off disabling. unless you are running wifi. for now, if you
are using wifi, i would suggest that you not use it and go 'hardwire'
until you get everything else set up. then you can go after wifi.

i do not have f10 installed yet. i am waiting for 'early bugs' to be found.
for internet, i am using sl5.4, 'scientific linux 5.4, which is a 'rewrite'
of rhel5.4. there will be some difference also, as i am using kde3 and none
of headaches of kde4. if i tell you something different than what you find,
i am sure that poc, chris, or one of other followers of this thread, will
make comment to put you in right direction.

some will/may not see or understand why i set up a system in this way. if
they just give thought to what i do and results i get, hopefully they will
understand. this 'procedure' has worked for me and many others that i have
help in their set up and continues to work. what more can i say.

these instructions are presuming that you are using kde and not gnome
for your desktop. [yes, i should have asked at start what you are using]

to insure that you have a more pleasurable experience with linux,
**do not work as root user**. _always_start_as_a_user_.

you know root password and that is all you need as a user to set up
your system. there are some things that a root login can make easier,
but primarily, the inconvenience of having to enter root password to
do system configs is not that big a deal.

as a suggestion to make things a little easier and linux more enjoyable,
you should disable automatic start up of networking. unless you are in a
networked environment and must start up with networking enabled. which i
do not believe to be in your case.

from kde menu, in 'system > services' or 'preferences > services',
select 'services'.

from 'services' 'menu bar' select 'edit runlevel > runlevel all'.

disable, click [check mark], for each runlevel for 'NetworkManager',
'NetworkManagerDispatcher', 'netfs', 'network'. click 'save' icon and
close 'services' configuration.

on 'taskbar panel', right click kde logo, select 'menu editor'.

in 'menu editor' window, right click on 'internet' or 'system' to hilite
and select 'new item'. enter 'ethernet 0 up', click 'ok'.

to right side, in 'command:', enter '/sbin/ifup eth0'. click 'icon'
selector, square to right of 'name:' and 'description:', this will
give you 'select icon' window. click '[applications]' button, select
'actions' then click '1uparrow'.

next, right click on 'ethernet 0 up' to hilite and select 'new item'.
enter 'ethernet 0 down', click 'ok'.

to right side, in 'command:', enter '/sbin/ifdown eth0'. click 'icon'
selector, square to right of 'name:' and 'description:'. this will give
you 'select icon' window. click '[applications]' button, select 'actions'
then click '1downarrow'.

move cursor pointer to 'floppy disk' icon and click to save.

this now gives you 2 new commands by which you can control your ethernet
connection.

in 'taskbar panel', right click an icon, select 'panel menu > add application
to panel'. select 'internet' or 'system' as chosen above, click 'ethernet 0
up'. repeat and select 'ethernet 0 down'. you now have icons on panel to enable
and disable ethernet.

to make things a little more enjoyable with firefox, open firefox, look
at 'menu bar' and you will see that it is similar to what you used in oos.
main difference will be in what is in 'drop down menus'.

click 'edit', 'preferences' to change firefox to a default start up.
select 'main', set 'when firefox starts:' to 'show a blank page'. close
'preferences'. this will allow firefox to be in an 'online' state and
not go 'offline. nor will it try to connect to internet, regardless of
what state your net work is in.

when opening firefox, one thing that will happen, if you have 'addons',
'addons' will check for updates before starting firefox. if found, you
will be prompted for approval. enable ethernet *before* you ok, or update
will fail.

please excuse my delay in replying. i have had 'personal priorities' to
attend to.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 PM
"Nick"

Hi All

Firstly thanks for all the help most of it is now running.

To put things a bit more in perspective
I am a layer 2/3 network engineer not a programmer but need linux to run
nagios, mrtg and rt3 trouble ticketing system which at present my new
employer doesn't have.

As to MS most of our paying clients have it and therefore need to stick with
it

Regards

Nick

Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 06:13 +0000, g wrote:
> as poc stated in his post, 'networkmanager' is a service that you will
> be better off disabling.

What I actually said was, if you're using NM make sure it's properly
configured. I've no reason to recommend disabling it (despite this
apparently having become the "solution du jour" for any and all
networking problems mentioned on this list) as it works fine for me.
YMMV as ever.

poc

Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 AM
jarmo

Seen discussions, where people claiming Firefox crashing and stucking.
In my case Firefox became extreamly slow and stucked every now and
then. Same time saw in messages log, that npviewer with flash caused
some problems.
I uninstalled nspluginwrapper package and now seems Firefox work more
fluently, so those, who have installed nspluginwrapper and have difficulties
with firefox, give a try without wrapper.

My system is 32 bit, do not know, if it works with 64 bit system.

Jarmo

Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Michael Miles

My system updated the firefox back to 64 bit

I can remove it but I cant fint the firefox 32 bit package

How do I
1. get the right 32 bit package
2. browse repo listings through yum

It's the flashplayer again so I need 32 bit firefox on a 64 bit fedora 12

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 16:19 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
> It's the flashplayer again so I need 32 bit firefox on a 64 bit fedora
> 12

Why not use the 64-bit flash player and avoid the grief?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Michael Miles

On 04/11/2010 04:23 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 16:19 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>
>> It's the flashplayer again so I need 32 bit firefox on a 64 bit fedora
>> 12
>>
> Why not use the 64-bit flash player and avoid the grief?

Where do I get the 64 bit version
All I can find is i386

I defaulted to gnash flashplayer but sites like youtube wont work for
some reason

I know I had to use 32 bit firefox before

I would like to use 64
I installed the latest Java and installed it but it's still just some
sites will not work

Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Sunday 11 April 2010 04:32 PM, Michael Miles wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 04:23 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 16:19 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>>
>>> It's the flashplayer again so I need 32 bit firefox on a 64 bit fedora
>>> 12
>>>
>> Why not use the 64-bit flash player and avoid the grief?
>>
> Where do I get the 64 bit version
> All I can find is i386

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html
There you go. FWIW I find this, supposedly beta, version of 64 bit
flash ten times more stable than 32 bit.

Njoy

--
Suvayu

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Paolo Galtieri

On 04/11/2010 04:32 PM, Michael Miles wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 04:23 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 16:19 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>>

>>> It's the flashplayer again so I need 32 bit firefox on a 64 bit fedora
>>> 12
>>>

>> Why not use the 64-bit flash player and avoid the grief?
>>

> Where do I get the 64 bit version
> All I can find is i386
>
> I defaulted to gnash flashplayer but sites like youtube wont work for
> some reason
>
> I know I had to use 32 bit firefox before
>
> I would like to use 64
> I installed the latest Java and installed it but it's still just some
> sites will not work

You can create a file in yum.repos.d with the following content:

[flash]
name=flash
baseurl=http://www.dfm.uninsubria.it/compiz/fusion-testing/flashplayer.x86_64/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-leigh123linux

Then install the flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1 64bit plugin

This will not guarantee that things will work. The 64 bit version of
Firefox still has problems with some flash sites.

Paolo