Old 05-25-2008, 08:12 PM
MHR

Default How is this possible?

As an experiment, I am attempting to build a more recent version of
GNOME than 2.16.0 on CentOS 5.1. I've tried both garnome and jhbuild,
and neither one works quite right. Jhbuild blows out looking for a
dbus-glib-1 revision >= 0/74 (the release rev is 0.70), so I
downloaded that and tried to build it. This results in the following
error:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
-Wfloat-equal -Wsign-compare -o .libs/dbus-binding-tool
dbus-binding-tool-glib.o dbus-glib-tool.o ./.libs/libdbus-gtool.a
-L/lib64 ./.libs/libdbus-glib-1.so -ldbus-1 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
/usr/lib/libexpat.so -lnsl
/usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [dbus-binding-tool] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/mhr/Download/dbus-glib-0.74/dbus'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mhr/Download/dbus-glib-0.74/dbus'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mhr/Download/dbus-glib-0.74/dbus'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mhr/Download/dbus-glib-0.74'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I try to use garnome, it eventually runs into exactly the same error.

I've checked /usr/lib/libexpat.so, and this is what I get:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libexpat.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jan 8 13:11 /usr/lib/libexpat.so ->
../../lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
$ ls -l /lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 133056 Jan 6 2007 /lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
$ file /lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), stripped

When I look at this library with nm, lld and objdump, they all seem to
be able to read it just fine. There is also the 64 bit version that
lives in /ib64 and has a .ink from /usr/lib64, and that also reads
fine.

What did I miss here?

Thanks.

mhr

Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Finnur Örn Guğmundsson

MHR wrote:

[...]

Howdy,

Just a thought, do you have the expat-devel package installed?

Thanks,
Finnur

Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM
MHR

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Finnur Örn Guğmundsson
<finnzi@finnzi.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Just a thought, do you have the expat-devel package installed?

Yes:

$ yum list | grep -i expat
expat.x86_64 1.95.8-8.2.1 installed
expat.i386 1.95.8-8.2.1 installed
expat-devel.i386 1.95.8-8.2.1 installed
expat-devel.x86_64 1.95.8-8.2.1 installed

mhr

Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Tru Huynh

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 01:12:30PM -0700, MHR wrote:
> As an experiment, I am attempting to build a more recent version of
> GNOME than 2.16.0 on CentOS 5.1. I've tried both garnome and jhbuild,
just my 1st and last warning: if you break your setup don't come complaining
here

> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
> -Wfloat-equal -Wsign-compare -o .libs/dbus-binding-tool
> dbus-binding-tool-glib.o dbus-glib-tool.o ./.libs/libdbus-gtool.a
> -L/lib64 ./.libs/libdbus-glib-1.so -ldbus-1 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so -lnsl
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The error message is quite clear.
> $ file /lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
> /lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
> version 1 (SYSV), stripped

you are running a 64 bits CentOS-5 machine and you are trying to
link a 64 bits objects with a 32 bits shared lib.

> What did I miss here?
good luck.

Tru

Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 PM
MHR

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Tru Huynh <tru@centos.org> wrote:
> just my 1st and last warning: if you break your setup don't come complaining
> here

I presume you mean my GNOME setup, and yes, I know - there are
instructions on both jhbuild and garnome on how to avoid that.
Hopefully they are more effective that the build instructions.... )-;

> The error message is quite clear.
> you are running a 64 bits CentOS-5 machine and you are trying to
> link a 64 bits objects with a 32 bits shared lib.

Actually, I respectfully disagree - the message is far too vague,
although the implication may not be.

However, that raises another question: why does the build (either
one) not know the machine architecture on which it is running and
therefore detect the proper library to which to link?

Or do I have to fake it by replacing the links in /usr/lib with those
from /usr/lib64?

IOW: how do I (or does anyone) build GNOME (or even just dbus-glib) on
a 64-bit platform?

> good luck.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Karanbir Singh

MHR wrote:

However, that raises another question: why does the build (either
one) not know the machine architecture on which it is running and
therefore detect the proper library to which to link?

Did you ask the people who wrote that buildsystem ? what did they say ?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 PM
MHR

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Did you ask the people who wrote that buildsystem ? what did they say ?

Yes, I was emailing back and forth with them yesterday. So far, on
this problem (the latest in a line), no response yet.

Of course, I did not specifically ask them this question (how does one
build on a 64-bit platform), but I did mention up front that that's
what I'm running.

mhr

Old 06-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Bob Hoffman

I got a spam today (from a yahoo server, surprise!) with nothing but a
single link.

http:// 2927755261/
I separated the http so it would not be a link in your email... suggest
not going to it without proper measures.
it takes you to a record search site.

When I look up this number block here,
http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/2927755261
it comes up with a different ip address...
The ip address has no correlation to the numbers I searched for though.

How is it possible to have a url that does not conform to the internet
standards?
Even ip addresses need 'periods' between each group of numbers....
and everything seems to require a period somewhere or the browser will
get angry.

At first I thought it was some kind of browser hack, but then the
iptrace pulls up an ip.

so how is this possible?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 AM
Bob Hoffman

On 6/20/2012 11:21 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> I got a spam today (from a yahoo server, surprise!) with nothing but a
> single link.
>
> http:// 2927755261/
> I separated the http so it would not be a link in your email... suggest
> not going to it without proper measures.
> it takes you to a record search site.
>
> When I look up this number block here,
> http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/2927755261
> it comes up with a different ip address...
> The ip address has no correlation to the numbers I searched for though.
>

> How is it possible to have a url that does not conform to the internet
> standards?
> Even ip addresses need 'periods' between each group of numbers....
> and everything seems to require a period somewhere or the browser will
> get angry.
>
> At first I thought it was some kind of browser hack, but then the
> iptrace pulls up an ip.
>
> so how is this possible?

okay, I got it...the browsers all the use of IP decimals..
Not sure why they would do that, but I guess it is needed..
Great, another way to hide spammers..
http://www.allredroster.com/iptodec.htm

Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Wednesday 20 June 2012, Bob Hoffman <bob@bobhoffman.com> wrote:

> I got a spam today (from a yahoo server, surprise!) with nothing but
> a single link.
>
> http:// 2927755261/

2927755261 in hexadecimal is AE81FFFD. If you change this to AE.81.FF.FD
and convert it back to decimal, you get 174.129.255.253, which is
apparently the IP address that http://www.ip-
adress.com/ip_tracer/2927755261 gave you.

I don't know why Web browsers accept this format, and I haven't seen
this trick in several years.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se