Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default Sharing Partitions between Linux and Windows

On Nov 29, 2007 9:23 AM, Saurabh Sharma <luckysharma11@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've just shifteed over to linux,form Windows.I 'm having 5 partations
> for use by my windows XP Professional and another one by linux.The
> partation table is as shown :
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [root@localhost6 ~]# fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/hdc: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hdc1 * 1 1275 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hdc2 1276 30400 233946562+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hdc5 1276 7649 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hdc6 7650 14023 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hdc7 14024 20397 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hdc8 20398 26771 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hdc9 26772 26784 104391 83 Linux
> /dev/hdc10 26785 28059 10241406 83 Linux
> /dev/hdc11 28060 28124 522081 82 Linux swap / Solaris
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I want to convert my NTFS partations /dev/hdc5 ,/dev/hdc6 ,/dev/hdc7
> ,/dev/hdc8 over to FAT32,so that they can be accessible to me in both
> Windows and LINUX environments.I googled a lot for the same and found
> that in windows i'll have to delete all the partitions and recreate
> themin FAT32 format,but the limitation over here is that windows just
> allows a FAT32 partition to be at most of 32GB and i don't want to
> breakup my disk any more,can anyone please help me out with some way in
> the linux environment,to do the desired.
> Thanks to all,and please help me and LINUX grow.

You can access (read/write) NTFS partitions from Linux:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions

Akemi

Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 AM
MHR

On Nov 29, 2007 9:39 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can access (read/write) NTFS partitions from Linux:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions

You can also build the NTFS module that comes with the kernel and
modprobe it, or you can rebuild the kernel with the configuration
changed to allow write access to NTFS file systems and install that.

To build the module, look here for guidance:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules

To build the kernel, see here: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

mhr

Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 AM
"Amos Shapira"

On 30/11/2007, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 9:39 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You can access (read/write) NTFS partitions from Linux:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions
> >

> You can also build the NTFS module that comes with the kernel and
> modprobe it, or you can rebuild the kernel with the configuration
> changed to allow write access to NTFS file systems and install that.

The NTFS driver included in the kernel is considered unreliable in its
support for NTFS writing.
The de-facto standard is NTFS-3G, which is developed as a FUSE module
(i.e. not a kernel module).
I would advise against using the kernel module as it is recognized as
not supporting NTFS writing reliably.

--Amos

Old 12-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Saurabh Sharma

Amos Shapira wrote:

On 30/11/2007, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 29, 2007 9:39 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

You can access (read/write) NTFS partitions from Linux:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions

You can also build the NTFS module that comes with the kernel and
modprobe it, or you can rebuild the kernel with the configuration
changed to allow write access to NTFS file systems and install that.

The NTFS driver included in the kernel is considered unreliable in its
support for NTFS writing.
The de-facto standard is NTFS-3G, which is developed as a FUSE module
(i.e. not a kernel module).
I would advise against using the kernel module as it is recognized as
not supporting NTFS writing reliably.

--Amos

I worked with it, http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions
much before i posted this mail,but all in vain.The system shows
messages about the failure of loading the partition file system at the
boot time.

Can some one provides any other way for it.

Thanks for the responses.

Saurabh Sharma

QA

Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 AM
"Amos Shapira"

On 02/12/2007, Saurabh Sharma <luckysharma11@gmail.com> wrote:
> I worked with it,
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions much
> before i posted this mail,but all in vain.The system shows messages about
> the failure of loading the partition file system at the boot time.

What does googl'ing the error message (in quotes) come up with?

I don't have personal experience with it - It's been a long while
since I dual-booted windows and Linux on the same machine, since I
started playing with virtualization.

--Amos