Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
"gopinath"

Default serial port in linux

hi,
*
*** ***
*** i have centos 4.2. I have install a PCI card having serial
port.
when the os is booted it detects the new hardware (
serial port) .a device is also created /dev/ttyS0. the port works very goog on
the same pc in windows XP. but when i connect any serial device to that port in
linux it does not work.
*
in /proc/ioports
*
there is entry for that port as
*
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f :
timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page
reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 :
ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 :
ide0
03f8-03ff :
serial(auto)*****************************
---- > displayed here
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
c000-cfff : PCI Bus
* c800-c8ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139
*** c800-c8ff : 8139too
d800-d81f : PCI device
8086:24d3 (Intel Corp.)
dc00-dc1f : PCI device 8086:24d2 (Intel
Corp.)
* dc00-dc1f : usb-uhci
e000-e01f : PCI device 8086:24d4 (Intel
Corp.)
* e000-e01f : usb-uhci
e400-e41f : PCI device 8086:24d7 (Intel
Corp.)
* e400-e41f : usb-uhci
e800-e81f : PCI device 8086:24de (Intel
Corp.)
* e800-e81f : usb-uhci
ec00-ec07 : PCI device 8086:2572 (Intel
Corp.)
ffa0-ffaf : PCI device 8086:24db (Intel Corp.)

*
please help me out is there any extra configuration
to be done.
*
Regards,
Gopinath
*
Regards,
Gopinath M
Signal Networks Pvt.
Ltd.
*

Smile... it increases your face
value!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
"Jim Perrin"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:00 AM, gopinath <gopinath@signal-networks.com> wrote:

> i have centos 4.2.

Okay, your first task is to run 'yum update' immediately. CentOS 4.2
is nearly 3 years out of date, and with proper updates would be at 4.6
right now.

I have install a PCI card having serial port.
> when the os is booted it detects the new hardware ( serial port) .a device
> is also created /dev/ttyS0. the port works very goog on the same pc in
> windows XP. but when i connect any serial device to that port in linux it
> does not work.

What are you using to talk to the serial port. How are you attempting
to use it?

> please help me out is there any extra configuration to be done.

You're telling us there's a problem but you're not telling us what the
problem is.

Are you sure you're using the right /dev/ttyS* value for the port?
What are you connecting to the port that's not communicating properly?

What errors are you getting with what you're trying to do?

George Orwell