Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default CentOS 4.5 - mounting remote windows fileserver using smb or cifs

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Tom Brown <tom@ng23.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to mount a windows share on a CentOS 4.5 box running stock kernel
> etc - I have tried using cifs and also smbfs
>
> My fstab looks like
>
> //share/name /mount/point smbfs
> username=user,password=password,uid=useridhere 0 0
>
> or the same using cifs
>
> When i try and mount that i get the following errors depending on the share
> type
>
> smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
>
> CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
>
> i would have thought that cifs was the way forward but any ideas? These use
> creds are being used on an ancient 7.3 box and they work fine

This wiki page may help you:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares

Akemi

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Tom Brown <tom@ng23.net> wrote:

> i have managed to get this working now using smbfs - there were 2 issues it
> seems
>
> 1 - samba-client was not installed, that was an oversight on my behalf
>
> 2 - on the RH7.3 box the domain is not needed for the user but on the
> CentOS 4 machine something is different in the samba client as without the
> domain i get an 'Accedd Denied' issue. So for me using smbfs and
> DOMAINusername works

I am using cifs without having the domain on a C4 box. I think
something is not right with your setup.

Akemi

Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Tom Brown

I am using cifs without having the domain on a C4 box. I think
something is not right with your setup.

i could not agree more but i do not admin the windows side so they
suggested i use the domain and that seems to work for this issue.

We have many domains and i wonder if that causes complexity - either way
using the domain works so i am happy with that.

thanks