Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Ian Blackwell

Default CentOS 4.5 - mounting remote windows fileserver using smb or cifs

This works for me...
In /etc/fstab:-
//share/name /mount/point cifs
_netdev,credentials=/etc/samba/cred.txt 0 0

In the credentials file:-
username=your-windows-user
password=XXXXXXXXXXX

Make sure the credentials file is owned by root and only readable by root.

Regards,

Ian

Tom Brown wrote:

Hi

I need to mount a windows share on a CentOS 4.5 box running stock
kernel etc - I have tried using cifs and also smbfs

My fstab looks like

//share/name /mount/point smbfs
username=user,password=password,uid=useridhere 0 0

or the same using cifs

When i try and mount that i get the following errors depending on the
share type

smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

i would have thought that cifs was the way forward but any ideas?
These use creds are being used on an ancient 7.3 box and they work fine

thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Tom Brown

This works for me...
In /etc/fstab:-
//share/name /mount/point cifs
_netdev,credentials=/etc/samba/cred.txt 0 0

In the credentials file:-
username=your-windows-user
password=XXXXXXXXXXX

Make sure the credentials file is owned by root and only readable by
root.

i have managed to get this working now using smbfs - there were 2 issues
it seems

1 - samba-client was not installed, that was an oversight on my behalf

2 - on the RH7.3 box the domain is not needed for the user but on the
CentOS 4 machine something is different in the samba client as without
the domain i get an 'Accedd Denied' issue. So for me using smbfs and
DOMAINusername works

thanks