Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 AM
"Matt Morgan"

Default No module named snack

Hi everyone--I'm back on the list after some time not managing any Centos machines. It's good to be back.

I'm trying to switch a server from sendmail to postfix. It's Centos 4.6. I installed postfix and system-switch-mail. When I run system-switch-mail, I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
* File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 89, in <module>
*** main()
* File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 76, in main
*** from switchmail_tui import mainDialog

* File "/usr/share/system-switch-mail/switchmail_tui.py", line 36, in <module>
*** from snack import *
ImportError: No module named snack

"Snack" appears to be a python module provided by a package called newt, which is installed:

# rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/snack.py
newt-0.51.6-9.rhel4

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Matt Hyclak

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:59:46PM -0400, Matt Morgan enlightened us:
> everyone--I'm back on the list after some time not managing any Centos
> machines. It's good to be back.
>
> I'm trying to switch a server from sendmail to postfix. It's Centos 4.6. I
> installed postfix and system-switch-mail. When I run system-switch-mail, I
> get
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 89, in <module>
> main()
> File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 76, in main
> from switchmail_tui import mainDialog
> File "/usr/share/system-switch-mail/switchmail_tui.py", line 36, in
> <module>
> from snack import *
> ImportError: No module named snack
>
> "Snack" appears to be a python module provided by a package called newt,
> which is installed:
>
> # rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/snack.py
> newt-0.51.6-9.rhel4
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Not using python 2.3 perhaps?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 AM
"Matt Morgan"

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Matt Hyclak <hyclak@math.ohiou.edu> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:59:46PM -0400, Matt Morgan enlightened us:

> everyone--I'm back on the list after some time not managing any Centos

> machines. It's good to be back.

> I'm trying to switch a server from sendmail to postfix. It's Centos 4.6. I

> installed postfix and system-switch-mail. When I run system-switch-mail, I

> get

> Traceback (most recent call last):

> * File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 89, in <module>

> * * main()

> * File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 76, in main

> * * from switchmail_tui import mainDialog

> * File "/usr/share/system-switch-mail/switchmail_tui.py", line 36, in

> <module>

> * * from snack import *

> ImportError: No module named snack

> "Snack" appears to be a python module provided by a package called newt,

> which is installed:

> # rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/snack.py

> newt-0.51.6-9.rhel4

> What am I doing wrong?

Not using python 2.3 perhaps?
Good call, looks like python is 2.5 (although the typical 2.3 package is installed). Probably, someone else using this machine needed 2.5 at some point.

Let's say we still have a good reason to need python 2.5. Is this going to break a lot of the system-whatever commands? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks again,
Matt

Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Matt Morgan wrote:
> Let's say we still have a good reason to need python 2.5. Is this going to
> break a lot of the system-whatever commands?

Yes, I'd think so. They are all python-based (as is yum - does that one
still work?).

> Are there any workarounds?

Install python-2.5 into /opt or /usr/local - and try *not* to get that
into $PATH in front of /usr/bin/python.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 05-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Matt Hyclak

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:50:18PM -0400, Matt Morgan enlightened us:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:59:46PM -0400, Matt Morgan enlightened us:
> > > everyone--I'm back on the list after some time not managing any Centos
> > > machines. It's good to be back.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to switch a server from sendmail to postfix. It's Centos 4.6.
> > > installed postfix and system-switch-mail. When I run system-switch-mail,
> > > get
> > >
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > > File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 89, in <module>
> > > main()
> > > File "/usr/sbin/system-switch-mail", line 76, in main
> > > from switchmail_tui import mainDialog
> > > File "/usr/share/system-switch-mail/switchmail_tui.py", line 36, in
> > > <module>
> > > from snack import *
> > > ImportError: No module named snack
> > >
> > > "Snack" appears to be a python module provided by a package called newt,
> > > which is installed:
> > >
> > > # rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/snack.py
> > > newt-0.51.6-9.rhel4
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >

> > Not using python 2.3 perhaps?
>

> Good call, looks like python is 2.5 (although the typical 2.3 package is
> installed). Probably, someone else using this machine needed 2.5 at some
> point.
>
> Let's say we still have a good reason to need python 2.5. Is this going to
> break a lot of the system-whatever commands? Are there any workarounds?

Yeah, the system is built heavily around python. If you still need to have a
different python installed, install it as python25 or something like that.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics