Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Default case insensitive file system

We have an application that was build on a windows platform that expects
a case insensitive file system.
Is there a way to set one up in CentOS?
NTFS should work, I think, but I feel uneasy using that under Linux.

Russ

Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Kevin Krieser

FAT32 may work too if you don't need large files.

I just tried NTFS-3G on a thumbdrive, and I was able to create a file
that differed only by case from another. Then something got corrupted.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 AM
John R Pierce

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
We have an application that was build on a windows platform that
expects a case insensitive file system. Is there a way to set one up
in CentOS? NTFS should work, I think, but I feel uneasy using that
under Linux.

NTFS is not whats case insensitive, its WINDOWS thats case insensitive.

you'll need to fix that application to either use all monocase names or
to be self-consistent enough to run properly on a case sensitive system.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Ruslan Sivak

John R Pierce wrote:

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
We have an application that was build on a windows platform that
expects a case insensitive file system. Is there a way to set one up
in CentOS? NTFS should work, I think, but I feel uneasy using that
under Linux.

NTFS is not whats case insensitive, its WINDOWS thats case insensitive.

you'll need to fix that application to either use all monocase names
or to be self-consistent enough to run properly on a case sensitive
system.

I will look into fixing the application, but it may not be possible.
There must be a filesystem that I can use. Mac's have HFS+ which can be
case insensitive. Aren't Macs pretty much Linux? Isn't there a similar
filesystem availalbe for linux? I wouldn't run the whole system on it,
just the portion that hosts the app.

Russ

Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
"Jim Perrin"