Old 04-29-2008, 02:45 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default SSH Key length

What are the ramifications to a large key length when using pub/priv keys
for ssh authentication. I have some remote admin and file transfers to manage
and only have ssh access w/o vpn to use for it.

Thanks,
jlc

Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 AM
"Les Bell"

"Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@ActiveNetwerx.com> wrote:

What are the ramifications to a large key length when using pub/priv keys

for ssh authentication.

<<

No particular impact, especially for file transfer. The pub/priv keys are only used for authentication and a symmetric key is used for encrypting traffic during the session. I use a 2048-bit RSA key routinely - if it's any slower than a 1048-bit key during the authentication phase, it's not noticeable, and it has no impact on file transfer.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP

[http://www.lesbell.com.au]

Tel: +61 2 9451 1144

FreeWorldDialup: 800909____________________________________________ ___
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 04-29-2008, 04:48 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>No particular impact, especially for file transfer. The pub/priv keys are only used for authentication and a >symmetric key is used for encrypting traffic during the session. I use a 2048-bit RSA key routinely - if it's any >slower than a 1048-bit key during the authentication phase, it's not noticeable, and it has no impact on file >transfer.

I see, how does one manipulate the keys used for data encryption after auth during file transfers for instance?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 AM
"Les Bell"

"Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@ActiveNetwerx.com> wrote:

I see, how does one manipulate the keys used for data encryption after auth
during file transfers for instance?
<<

One doesn't; the session keys are randomly generated and are automatically
renewed periodically.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]