Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default Kickstart syntax for CentOS upgrade

I'd like to automate the upgrade from CentOS 4.6 to 5.1 as much as
possible. Since upgrades per se are not really recommended, I'm
planning to do a kickstart installation. However, I want to leave
one of the existing partitions (/scratch) untouched during the
installation. Here is my current layout (LogVol00 is swap so not
shown in the df output below):

# df -hl
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
36G 11G 24G 30% /
/dev/sda1 99M 17M 78M 18% /boot
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02
36G 9.7G 24G 29% /scratch
# vgscan
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
# pvscan
PV /dev/sda2 VG VolGroup00 lvm2 [74.41 GB / 32.00 MB free]
Total: 1 [74.41 GB] / in use: 1 [74.41 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0 ]
# lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [35.75 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02' [35.72 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [2.91 GB] inherit

I've tried various alternatives of specifying the disk layout in the
kickstart file, and here is my latest attempt:

part /boot --fstype ext3 --onpart sda1
part pv.2 --noformat --onpart sda2
volgroup VolGroup00 --noformat --useexisting --pesize=32768
logvol swap --useexisting --fstype swap --name=LogVol00 --
vgname=VolGroup00
logvol / --useexisting --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol01 --
vgname=VolGroup00

But when I try to install CentOS 5.1 via kickstart, anaconda
complains that "You have not defined a root partition (/), which is
required for installation of CentOS to continue". Has anyone
successfully installed CentOS 5.X via kickstart and preserved at
least one partition on a logical volume, and if so, could you please
share your kickstart file?

Thanks,
Alfred

Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 PM