Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default sendmail and cups gets installed although not chosen in kickstart file

I setup a kickstart file that contains only @core and several packages
explicitely listed. postfix is listed, sendmail is not. And there's no
package where I would think it needs cups. Nevertheless, after the install
I now have postfix *and* sendmail on the machine and sendmail even being
enabled. And cups is installed.

How can I find out what forced them (and probably many other unwanted
packages) on the installation?
I thought maybe "rpm -q --whatrequires sendmail" would tell me, but it
doesn't. Nothing requires it. Same for cups. So, why did it get installed?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
"Jeff Larsen"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> I setup a kickstart file that contains only @core and several packages
> explicitely listed. postfix is listed, sendmail is not. And there's no
> package where I would think it needs cups. Nevertheless, after the install
> I now have postfix *and* sendmail on the machine and sendmail even being
> enabled. And cups is installed.
>
> How can I find out what forced them (and probably many other unwanted
> packages) on the installation?
> I thought maybe "rpm -q --whatrequires sendmail" would tell me, but it
> doesn't. Nothing requires it. Same for cups. So, why did it get installed?

<assumption>
I would guess that sendmail is included in @core or something else is
that depends on a mail package. Just because you include postfix
later, you can't count on things included in @core that depend on a
mail program to know that postfix will eventually be there. I believe
sendmail is the default mail package when it comes to resolving
dependencies, unless postfix is already installed.
</assumption>

I have a work-in-progress kickstart config that attempts a more
minimal install than can be done from CD. The key is "--nobase". But
then many essential things must be explicitly installed. This gets me
postfix and no sendmail. YMMV.

%packages --nobase
bind-utils
coreutils
crontabs
dhclient
e2fsprogs
file
grub
mailx
man
openssh-clients
openssh-server
postfix
rootfiles
rpm
vim-minimal
vixie-cron
wget
yum
-kernel-smp

--
Jeff

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Ralph Angenendt wrote on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:24:21 +0200:

> cups gets pulled in by the redhat-lsb package which has /usr/bin/lpr as
> a requirement.

It came in even after removing redhat-lsb. It stopped after using --
nobase.

> sendmail is in the core group. If you kickstart, you can say
>
> -sendmail
> postfix
>
> in your package section to exclude sendmail from getting installed.

I know that I can remove single packages, but I'm sure there were more
unwanted packages getting pulled in. That's why I wanted to know more
about the cause.

You
> don't want to exclude the redhat-lsb package, as that pulls in loads of
> needed software during the installation.

Thanks for the info. I checked the requires and I have most of them on the
machine, anyway, probably from installing core. What's missing without
redhat-lsb are a very few libraries like libICE. I'll see if adding
redhat-lsb gives me cups again.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Jeff Larsen wrote on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:12:48 -0500:

> %packages --nobase

That's the one I needed here. Thanks. Once I add that both packages are
gone. This switch is mentioned on the CentOS wiki, but unfortunately not
in the official Red Hat documentation.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany