Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Morten Nilsen

Default Turning off Gnome and other stuff

Dennis McLeod wrote:

Is there a simple way to turn all the applets and such off and start from
the command line? Idea is to come up with a default level of 3 via the
inittab, due a remote login and then a command line entry "startx &"
to start the X server, possibly a minimum window manager, and then go right

into the sim programs.

That is an excellent solution, though, you can start the X11 server
directly without startx..

So, "X & my_simulator.bin"

You could also toss that into rc.local to get it up automatically..
If you trim down the boot process to its bare bones, you should be able
to get it to load up quite fast as well.

--
Cheers,
Morten

Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

Is there a simple way to turn all the applets and such off and start from

the command line? *Idea is to come up with a default level of 3 via the

inittab, due a remote login and then a command line entry "startx &" to start the X server, possibly a minimum window manager, and then go right

into the sim programs.

That is an excellent solution, though, you can start the X11 server directly without startx..

So, "X & my_simulator.bin"
yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Alan.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
John Wojnaroski

OK! we're building the system for NASA/Ames for their Human Factors
lab. If you have about $85-100K laying around we'ld be happy to build
you one too ;-)

See www.lfstech.com

John

Um, I don't know the answer, but I want one too......(737 Flight
simulator....)
Dennis