Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Max Hetrick

Default f/oss routing solution?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Ramon Nieto

Try quagga (www.quagga.net), it is based on zebra, as you can see on the site the last version was released 9/2007, the last version of zebra it's from 9/2005.

Check this url* http://www.openmaniak.com/quagga.php it is a good tutorial.

--- El dom 27-abr-08, Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> escribió:
De:: Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com>
Asunto: [CentOS] f/oss routing solution?
Fecha: domingo, 27 abril, 2008, 12:23 pm

I'm looking for an open source router solution, and someone from the list recently recommended zebra (www.zebra.org). I haven't yet identified all my needs, but
I'm guessing that it will do all my routing needs for*a, say, class C set of IP addresses, particularly if I ever have to do anything BGP-related.

*
Anyone have any pointers before I delve in?* Or possibly a recommendation for another open source routing solution?* Yeah, I know about Cisco stuff, but I'm hoping to limp along on a shoestring budget until I get a few more things in place, then I'll rethink everything.

Yahoo! Deportes Beta
¡No te pierdas lo último sobre el torneo clausura 2008!
Entérate aquí http://deportes.yahoo.com

Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
John Bowden

On Sunday 27 April 2008 18:23:18 Rogelio wrote:
> I'm looking for an open source router solution, and someone from the list
> recently recommended zebra (www.zebra.org). I haven't yet identified all my
> needs, but I'm guessing that it will do all my routing needs for a, say,
> class C set of IP addresses, particularly if I ever have to do anything
> BGP-related.
>
> Anyone have any pointers before I delve in? Or possibly a recommendation
> for another open source routing solution? Yeah, I know about Cisco stuff,
> but I'm hoping to limp along on a shoestring budget until I get a few more
> things in place, then I'll rethink everything.

Hi Rogelio
There is / was a project called something like the CD router project. It would
turn an old PC with all the PCI slots filled with NIC's and a CD ROM drive
into a router. Don't know if its still around and I'm not on line at the
moment to have a look. I'm almost sure I have a copy on CD at home some
where, if you want let me know and I will have a look for it.
John

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Barry Brimer

I'm looking for an open source router solution, and someone from the list
recently recommended zebra (www.zebra.org). I haven't yet identified all my
needs, but I'm guessing that it will do all my routing needs for a, say,
class C set of IP addresses, particularly if I ever have to do anything
BGP-related.

Anyone have any pointers before I delve in? Or possibly a recommendation
for another open source routing solution? Yeah, I know about Cisco stuff,
but I'm hoping to limp along on a shoestring budget until I get a few more
things in place, then I'll rethink everything.

CentOS / Red Hat distribute quagga which is a fork of zebra. Same
interface, which in itself is almost 100% cisco syntax. You could also
check out Vyatta .. they make open source routers .. not sure what their
pricing/features are though.

Barry