FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Hello: The box is dual boot (Win XP & CentOS 5). A Dell Dimension
4300 Celeron. There was an intermittent problem with this last year
and last Thanksgiving, I wiped the HD and installed Win XP and CentOS
5 clean. My daughter asked me to install KStars which is in the kdeedu
RPM on the Fedora Core 6 Install DVD. I did that, without any
problems, on my box and on my wife's box. On the Dimension 4300, in
Linux, the OS thinks the DVD ROM is empty. I suspect this is a HW
problem, but: (a) Windows can see everything on the DVD, without any
problem and (b) I can boot the Fedora Core 6 Install DVD, without any
problem. If anyone on the ML has ideas about what might be wrong with
the installation of the OS (I have GNOME and KDE installed and the
problem is the same with either desktop) please give me your
suggestions about how to get the DVD to mount properly. TIA!
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On Saturday 26 April 2008 16:35, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Hello: The box is dual boot (Win XP & CentOS 5). A Dell Dimension
> 4300 Celeron. There was an intermittent problem with this last year
> and last Thanksgiving, I wiped the HD and installed Win XP and CentOS
> 5 clean. My daughter asked me to install KStars which is in the kdeedu
> RPM on the Fedora Core 6 Install DVD. I did that, without any
> problems, on my box and on my wife's box. On the Dimension 4300, in
> Linux, the OS thinks the DVD ROM is empty. I suspect this is a HW
> problem, but: (a) Windows can see everything on the DVD, without any
> problem and (b) I can boot the Fedora Core 6 Install DVD, without any
> problem. If anyone on the ML has ideas about what might be wrong with
> the installation of the OS (I have GNOME and KDE installed and the
> problem is the same with either desktop) please give me your
> suggestions about how to get the DVD to mount properly. TIA!
>
The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001. If that's the
approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs. My Packard
Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes can't, but it's not
really supposed to, I think.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Lanny Marcus
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On 26 April 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:25 +0100
> From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> Message-ID: <200804261657.25885.cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> <snip>
> The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001. If that's
> the approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs.
> My Packard Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes
> can't, but it's not really supposed to, I think.

Anne: This is something that worked fine, for several years. It was my
box, before my daughter got it, and I used the DVD drive, without
problems. That it works OK in MS Windows XP and that I can boot the box
from the same DVD, without problems, has me leaning more toward a
problem with CentOS 5 Mounting the DVD, in that box. If it is a HW
problem, I would think the problem would also appear in Windows and when
I boot from that DVD. However, that it works OK, in 2 other Desktops,
would possibly indicate a HW problem in that box. TIA, Lanny

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 PM
D Steward
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 16:57 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> ... it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs. My Packard
> Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes can't, but it's not
> really supposed to, I think.

It will depend upon the DVD drive and the type of DVD.
Many DVD-Rom drives of that vintage were not able to read DVD-RW discs,
nor discs of type DVD+R etc.

But this is not the OP's problem, since he said a Windows installation
on that same computer could read the DVD fine.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On Sunday 27 April 2008 13:38:50 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 26 April 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Message: 11
> > Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:25 +0100
> > From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> > To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> > Message-ID: <200804261657.25885.cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> > <snip>
> > The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001. If that's
> > the approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs.
> > My Packard Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes
> > can't, but it's not really supposed to, I think.
>
> Anne: This is something that worked fine, for several years. It was my
> box, before my daughter got it, and I used the DVD drive, without
> problems. That it works OK in MS Windows XP and that I can boot the box
> from the same DVD, without problems, has me leaning more toward a
> problem with CentOS 5 Mounting the DVD, in that box. If it is a HW
> problem, I would think the problem would also appear in Windows and when
> I boot from that DVD. However, that it works OK, in 2 other Desktops,
> would possibly indicate a HW problem in that box. TIA, Lanny
>
Hmm - do you have one of those disks with the micro-brushes that you use to
clean the lens of a DVD drive? It could be nothing worse than that. I don't
know what she used it for under XP, but if it was for reading commercial
disks they are undoubtably easier to read than home-burned ones, and its
possible that the linux driver is not as good either. OTOH, it could be
something quite different :-)

Anne

Anne

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 AM
"John"
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf
Of Anne Wilson
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:03 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On Sunday 27 April 2008 13:38:50 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 26 April 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Message: 11
> > Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:25 +0100
> > From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> > To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> > Message-ID: <200804261657.25885.cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> > <snip>
> > The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001. If
> > that's the approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read
DVDs.
> > My Packard Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes
> > can't, but it's not really supposed to, I think.
>
> Anne: This is something that worked fine, for several years. It was my
> box, before my daughter got it, and I used the DVD drive, without
> problems. That it works OK in MS Windows XP and that I can boot the
> box from the same DVD, without problems, has me leaning more toward a
> problem with CentOS 5 Mounting the DVD, in that box. If it is a HW
> problem, I would think the problem would also appear in Windows and
> when I boot from that DVD. However, that it works OK, in 2 other
> Desktops, would possibly indicate a HW problem in that box. TIA, Lanny
>
Hmm - do you have one of those disks with the micro-brushes that you use to
clean the lens of a DVD drive? It could be nothing worse than that. I
don't know what she used it for under XP, but if it was for reading
commercial disks they are undoubtably easier to read than home-burned ones,
and its possible that the linux driver is not as good either. OTOH, it
could be something quite different :-)

Anne
----------------------------

Did you do a mount /dev/hdc /mnt/media?


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
"Mike Peterson"
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

I have yet to get a DVD to read in CentOS 5.
I can install from DVD and then reboot and then the DVD drive is no longer
accessible.
It works with several live CD and DVD images with no problems however.
This is on an HP system.
I think it is an OS problem.

I will test in some other systems and let you know my results.


-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf
Of Lanny Marcus
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:39 AM
To: centos@centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On 26 April 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:25 +0100
> From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> Message-ID: <200804261657.25885.cannewilson@googlemail.com>
> <snip>
> The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001. If that's
> the approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs.
> My Packard Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes
> can't, but it's not really supposed to, I think.

Anne: This is something that worked fine, for several years. It was my
box, before my daughter got it, and I used the DVD drive, without
problems. That it works OK in MS Windows XP and that I can boot the box
from the same DVD, without problems, has me leaning more toward a
problem with CentOS 5 Mounting the DVD, in that box. If it is a HW
problem, I would think the problem would also appear in Windows and when
I boot from that DVD. However, that it works OK, in 2 other Desktops,
would possibly indicate a HW problem in that box. TIA, Lanny

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On 28 April 2008, Mike Peterson wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:27:44 -0500
>From: "Mike Peterson" <mpeterson@mail.charlesfurniture.com>
> Subject: RE: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> Message-ID: <00c901c8a97f$144a1800$de00000a@ITAW>

>I have yet to get a DVD to read in CentOS 5.
>I can install from DVD and then reboot and then the DVD drive is no longer
>accessible.
>It works with several live CD and DVD images with no problems however.
>This is on an HP system.
>I think it is an OS problem.

I also suspect it is an OS problem, but, it seems to be very HW
dependent. After I read your post, I got the FC6 Install DVD and put
it into the DVD reader in my box. Zero problems. The same in my wife's
box. But, in my daughter's box, I have the same situation that you
described above. I suspect it is something about the DVD reader in
that box. However, when it was my box (and newer), it worked OK and I
believe it had CentOS 5 on it, before I let my daughter have it.

> I will test in some other systems and let you know my results.

Thank you! Very glad to know that I am not the only person with this
problem! Lanny
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Lanny Marcus
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On 27 April 2008, "John" <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Message: 19
> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:22:19 -0400
> From: "John" <jses27 AT gmail.com>
> Subject: RE: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> Message-ID: <001f01c8a8df$137be840$0700a8c0@ethan27>
<snip>
> Hmm - do you have one of those disks with the micro-brushes that you
> use to clean the lens of a DVD drive? It could be nothing worse than
> that.

I will look for one of those. Might be worth a try.

> I don't know what she used it for under XP, but if it was for reading
> commercial disks they are undoubtably easier to read than home-burned
> ones, and its possible that the linux driver is not as good either.
> OTOH, it could be something quite different :-)

Mike Peterson has the same problem on an HP box. Mine is a Dell
Dimension 4300. I believe the DVD reader was not installed in the
factory and that I installed it, later, but, I'm not positive about
that. I also believe that the Dell Dimension 4300 had CentOS 5 on it,
before I wiped the HD last Thanksgiving, but, I'm not positive about
that. Certainly this was working on that box, when it was mine. My
daughter rarely puts removable media into that box and the drive has
little use, but, that does not mean that it might not be dirty or
faulty. However, the drive seems to work properly, at all times, under
Windows XP.

That these boxes can boot from the same DVD media, and then not be able
to mount the media properly, after the installation is complete, is
frustrating.

> Did you do a mount /dev/hdc /mnt/media?

I tried that but I got this error message: mount point /mnt/media does
not exist

When I look at the /etc/fstab files in the box with the problem and in
my box, they look identical or nearly identical. Where is the
configuration file for removable media now?

I suspect that somewhere in the auto mount process, it has a problem
with the HW for the DVD reader for my daughter's box and for the DVD
reader in Mike's HP box.

When a DVD is inserted into the DVD reader, the DVD shows up on the
GNOME Desktop, but as if the media is empty.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 10:22 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 27 April 2008, "John" <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>

> Mike Peterson has the same problem on an HP box. Mine is a Dell
> Dimension 4300. I believe the DVD reader was not installed in the
> factory and that I installed it, later, but, I'm not positive about
> that. I also believe that the Dell Dimension 4300 had CentOS 5 on it,
> before I wiped the HD last Thanksgiving, but, I'm not positive about
> that. Certainly this was working on that box, when it was mine. My
> daughter rarely puts removable media into that box and the drive has
> little use, but, that does not mean that it might not be dirty or
> faulty. However, the drive seems to work properly, at all times, under
> Windows XP.
>
> That these boxes can boot from the same DVD media, and then not be able
> to mount the media properly, after the installation is complete, is
> frustrating.
>
> > Did you do a mount /dev/hdc /mnt/media?
>
> I tried that but I got this error message: mount point /mnt/media does
> not exist
>
> When I look at the /etc/fstab files in the box with the problem and in
> my box, they look identical or nearly identical. Where is the
> configuration file for removable media now?
>
> I suspect that somewhere in the auto mount process, it has a problem
> with the HW for the DVD reader for my daughter's box and for the DVD
> reader in Mike's HP box.
>
> When a DVD is inserted into the DVD reader, the DVD shows up on the
> GNOME Desktop, but as if the media is empty.

I don't know if y'all tried this, or if it will help, but in my
grub.conf (menu.lst) I have this on the kernel line.

hdc=ide-cd

Maybe it will help you?

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org