Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Anne Wilson

Default NFS mount problems

This morning my laptop could not connect to the server by its fstab mounts. I
restarted nfs and restarted the network on the server, all without making any
difference. Restarting the network brought

Bringing up interface borg2: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Error adding address 192.168.0.40 for eth0.

but ifconfig shows the correct address for eth0.

What else should I look for?

Anne

Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> This morning my laptop could not connect to the server by its fstab mounts.
> I restarted nfs and restarted the network on the server, all without
> making any difference. Restarting the network brought
>
> Bringing up interface borg2: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> Error adding address 192.168.0.40 for eth0.
>
> but ifconfig shows the correct address for eth0.
>
> What else should I look for?

I presume these lines are relevant -

Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_udp_client: hostname lookup
failed: No such process
Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_tcp_client: hostname lookup
failed: No such process
Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: lookup_mount: exports lookup failed
for .directory

What is the cause of this? Thanks

Anne

Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 26 April 2008 11:16, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > This morning my laptop could not connect to the server by its fstab
> > mounts. I restarted nfs and restarted the network on the server, all
> > without making any difference. Restarting the network brought
> >
> > Bringing up interface borg2: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> > Error adding address 192.168.0.40 for eth0.
> >
> > but ifconfig shows the correct address for eth0.
> >
> > What else should I look for?
>
> I presume these lines are relevant -
>
> Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_udp_client: hostname lookup
> failed: No such process
> Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_tcp_client: hostname lookup
> failed: No such process
> Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: lookup_mount: exports lookup failed
> for .directory
>
> What is the cause of this? Thanks

This is a firewall issue. If I turn off the firewall everything works. NFS
and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems that is not enough.
Which ports need to be opened to use these services? I googled and followed
that advice, which didn't work, so now I have to ask here.

Anne

Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 13:11 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 11:16, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > This morning my laptop could not connect to the server by its fstab
> > > mounts. I restarted nfs and restarted the network on the server, all
> > > without making any difference. Restarting the network brought
> > >
> > > Bringing up interface borg2: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> > > Error adding address 192.168.0.40 for eth0.
> > >
> > > but ifconfig shows the correct address for eth0.
> > >
> > > What else should I look for?
> >
> > I presume these lines are relevant -
> >
> > Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_udp_client: hostname lookup
> > failed: No such process
> > Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_tcp_client: hostname lookup
> > failed: No such process
> > Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: lookup_mount: exports lookup failed
> > for .directory
> >
> > What is the cause of this? Thanks
> >
> This is a firewall issue. If I turn off the firewall everything works. NFS
> and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems that is not enough.
> Which ports need to be opened to use these services? I googled and followed
> that advice, which didn't work, so now I have to ask here.
----
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02366.html

Craig

Old 04-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 26 April 2008 13:24, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 13:11 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I presume these lines are relevant -
> > >
> > > Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_udp_client: hostname
> > > lookup failed: No such process
> > > Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: create_tcp_client: hostname
> > > lookup failed: No such process
> > > Apr 26 11:11:52 borg2 automount[2547]: lookup_mount: exports lookup
> > > failed for .directory
> > >
> > > What is the cause of this? Thanks
> >
> > This is a firewall issue. If I turn off the firewall everything works.
> > NFS and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems that is not
> > enough. Which ports need to be opened to use these services? I googled
> > and followed that advice, which didn't work, so now I have to ask here.
>
> ----
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02366.html

Hmmm - I had opened 111 and 4000-4004, but it seems that they may be the wrong
ones. OTOH, this is a huge list. Do I need all these open?

rpcinfo -p
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 855 status
100024 1 tcp 858 status
100011 1 udp 804 rquotad
100011 2 udp 804 rquotad
100011 1 tcp 807 rquotad
100011 2 tcp 807 rquotad
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 tcp 55766 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 55766 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 55766 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 820 mountd
100005 1 tcp 823 mountd
100005 2 udp 820 mountd
100005 2 tcp 823 mountd
100005 3 udp 820 mountd
100005 3 tcp 823 mountd

Anne

Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Robert Spangler

On Saturday 26 April 2008 09:05, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > This is a firewall issue. If I turn off the firewall everything
> > > works. NFS and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems that
> > > is not enough. Which ports need to be opened to use these services? I
> > > googled and followed that advice, which didn't work, so now I have to
> > > ask here.
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02366.html
>
> Hmmm - I had opened 111 and 4000-4004, but it seems that they may be the
> wrong ones. OTOH, this is a huge list. Do I need all these open?

First where are you trying to access this machine from? Local LAN or the
Internet? If it is local LAN then why not trust the machine that is trying
to connect instread of opening a bunch of ports? That is how I do things at
home. Local machines are trusted so they can connect anytime on any port.

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!
Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org

Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 26 April 2008 14:29, Robert Spangler wrote:
> > *> > This is a firewall issue. *If I turn off the firewall everything
> > *> > works. NFS and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems that
> > *> > is not enough. Which ports need to be opened to use these services?
> > *I > > googled and followed that advice, which didn't work, so now I have
> > to > > ask here.
> > *>
> > *> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02366.html
> >
> > *Hmmm - I had opened 111 and 4000-4004, but it seems that they may be the
> > wrong ones. *OTOH, this is a huge list. *Do I need all these open?
>
> First where are you trying to access this machine from? *Local LAN or the
> Internet? *If it is local LAN *then why not trust the machine that is
> trying to connect instread of opening *a bunch of ports? *That is how I do
> things at home. *Local machines are trusted so they can connect anytime on
> any port.

That would be a sensible solution, but how do you set that up?

Anne

Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Jay Leafey

Part of the problem, as you've found, is trying to get the NFS server to
use "static" ports in portmapper instead of the more-or-less random
ports used by default. Luckily, it's fairly easy to convince the
different NFS components to do so. First, look for the file
/etc/sysconfig/nfs, which controls most of the NFS daemons. Edit it to
contain the following:

# Force rpc.statd to run on port 4000
STATD_PORT=4000
# Force lock daemon to run on port 4001
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4001
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4001
# Force mountd to run on port 4002
MOUNTD_PORT=4002
# Force rquotad to run on port 4003
RQUOTAD_PORT=4003

After restarting all the daemons, or just rebooting the server, the
rpcinfo command should show all the services using the static ports.

You will then need to open these ports up in iptables to whaterver
degree you need. I usually add something like the following lines in
the appropriate part of the iptables file:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m state --state NEW -m multiport -s 192.168.1.0/24 --dports 111,2049,4000,4001,4002,4003 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp -m state --state NEW -m multiport -s 192.168.1.0/24 --dports 111,2049,4000,4001,4002,4003 -j ACCEPT

This opens up all the ports needed to my local LAN.

It works for me, but your mileage may vary.
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey@mindless.com

Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Timothy Murphy

Anne Wilson wrote:

> This is a firewall issue. If I turn off the firewall everything works.
> NFS and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems that is not
> enough.
> Which ports need to be opened to use these services? I googled and
> followed that advice, which didn't work, so now I have to ask here.

But surely lots of people are using NFS on their local LAN
without worrying about the firewall?

I know less than anyone else contributing to this thread about NFS,
but I occasionally find if I have tried to mount on the wrong LAN
(I have two WiFi LANs) that I have to give the IP address of the server,
viz "sudo mount 192.168.3.1:/common /common".

I actually use the shorewall firewall,
but surely the standard firewall should allow any local LAN connection?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Robert Spangler

On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:19, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Saturday 26 April 2008 14:29, Robert Spangler wrote:
> > > *> > This is a firewall issue. *If I turn off the firewall everything
> > > *> > works. NFS and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems
> > > that > > is not enough. Which ports need to be opened to use these
> > > services? I > > googled and followed that advice, which didn't work,
> > > so now I have to > > ask here.
> > > *>
> > > *>
> > > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02366.html
> > >
> > > *Hmmm - I had opened 111 and 4000-4004, but it seems that they may be
> > > the wrong ones. *OTOH, this is a huge list. *Do I need all these open?
> >
> > First where are you trying to access this machine from? *Local LAN or
> > the Internet? *If it is local LAN *then why not trust the machine that
> > is trying to connect instread of opening *a bunch of ports? *That is how
> > I do things at home. *Local machines are trusted so they can connect
> > anytime on any port.
>
> That would be a sensible solution, but how do you set that up?

Are you using some sort of GUI to control your firewall or are you editing the
firewall file by hand?

If you are using a GUI then check out how you can allow ip addresses.

If you are editing the firewall file by hand (how I do it) then just add the
add something like the following:

-A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Here is a great tutorial for IPTABLES

http://iptables.rlworkman.net/chunkyhtml/index.html