FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
"David Hláčik"
 
Default dd trough scp with tar

Hi,
*
first i will explain my experiment :
*
We have ESX server running virtual machines .We want to migrate to XEN. As i did not found any tool for transfering ESX to for example real server, or better to XEN --> please correct me if i am wrong , i found following approach :

*
i will inside virtual machine on ESX boot from Live-CD of CentOS , using dd i will transfer images trought scp to CentOs machine with xen. I believe this one should work, machines on ESX are Windows2003 Servers.

So what i need to find is how to write a command which will transfer image trought scp , but for faster transfer also compress* it before using tar, or gzip.
*
so my input will be dd if=/dev/sda1 , my output will be gzipped or tarred image on second side. sda1.img.gz
*
Thanks in advance!

D.
*
*
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Ray Van Dolson
 
Default dd trough scp with tar

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:48:17PM +0200, David Hláčik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first i will explain my experiment :
>
> We have ESX server running virtual machines .We want to migrate to XEN. As i
> did not found any tool for transfering ESX to for example real server, or
> better to XEN --> please correct me if i am wrong , i found following approach
> :
>
> i will inside virtual machine on ESX boot from Live-CD of CentOS , using dd i
> will transfer images trought scp to CentOs machine with xen. I believe this one
> should work, machines on ESX are Windows2003 Servers.
> So what i need to find is how to write a command which will transfer image
> trought scp , but for faster transfer also compress it before using tar, or
> gzip.
>
> so my input will be dd if=/dev/sda1 , my output will be gzipped or tarred image
> on second side. sda1.img.gz
>

dd if=/dev/sda1 | gzip -c | ssh host "cat > output.gz"

Sanity check on that?

If you're not worried about security of this transfer, might be faster
to use NFS or something.

Ray
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default dd trough scp with tar

David Hlc(ik wrote:

Hi,

first i will explain my experiment :

We have ESX server running virtual machines .We want to migrate to XEN.
As i did not found any tool for transfering ESX to for example real
server, or better to XEN --> please correct me if i am wrong , i found
following approach :

i will inside virtual machine on ESX boot from Live-CD of CentOS , using
dd i will transfer images trought scp to CentOs machine with xen. I
believe this one should work, machines on ESX are Windows2003 Servers.
So what i need to find is how to write a command which will transfer
image trought scp , but for faster transfer also compress it before
using tar, or gzip.

*so my input will be dd if=/dev/sda1 , my output will be gzipped or
tarred image on second side. sda1.img.gz*
**


First, I'd expect some problems with the device drivers when you try to
restore a vmware image onto a xen virtual environment - unless they
present similar virtual hardware.


However, for the actual copy operation, I'd recommend clonezilla-live
(http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/). Boot its iso image into a
menu system that will let you mount the image storage space via nfs,
samba, or ssh-fs, then tell it to save the whole disk. The advantage
over dd is that it knows enough about ntfs and most linux file systems
to just save the used blocks and when you restore it will let you pick
from the list of images you've saved.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default dd trough scp with tar

>First, I'd expect some problems with the device drivers when you try to
>restore a vmware image onto a xen virtual environment - unless they
>present similar virtual hardware.

Actually, your lucky on this one. Windows *always* loads an ide driver into the
Critical Device Database unless you explicitly tell it not to with an
installation answer file, or remove it after install.

>However, for the actual copy operation, I'd recommend clonezilla-live
>(http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/). Boot its iso image into a
>menu system that will let you mount the image storage space via nfs,
>samba, or ssh-fs, then tell it to save the whole disk. The advantage
>over dd is that it knows enough about ntfs and most linux file systems
>to just save the used blocks and when you restore it will let you pick
>from the list of images you've saved.

Yup, did the same thing recently with WinPE 2.0 and Ghost (Same internal
concepts, faster then dd and ssh/cp) when moving off an ESX server into Xen 3.2.

jlc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org