Old 04-25-2008, 03:38 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

Default dying hd on live legacy system...

We have an old 3.x server whose hd is dying (kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry:
dma status == 0x61) and accessing certain files just crashes the system with
a reboot.

We have moved as many files to a nfs server as we could so simply.

The system has been heavily modified (all using rpms) from baseline.

What is the most practical method to replace the hard drive?

-Jason Pyeron

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately. Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
"Jeff Larsen"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron@pdinc.us> wrote:
> We have an old 3.x server whose hd is dying (kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry:
> dma status == 0x61) and accessing certain files just crashes the system with
> a reboot.
>
> We have moved as many files to a nfs server as we could so simply.
>
> The system has been heavily modified (all using rpms) from baseline.
>
> What is the most practical method to replace the hard drive?

Install another drive (same size or larger), boot from CD in rescue
mode and use the dd utility to copy the old drive image to the new
disk (example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb). However, the failing
hardware could make this problematic. Then remove the dying disk and
install the new disk on the cable where the old disk was so that the
new disk is now /dev/hda.

If you are lucky enough to succeed consider mirroring with Linux
software RAID or at least make a full backup.

--
Jeff

Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

Tried this, I should have been more clear above. When I access certain
sectors the machine reboots.

Ideas on how to do the duplication in this scenario?

> If you are lucky enough to succeed consider mirroring with Linux
> software RAID or at least make a full backup.
>
> --
> Jeff

- -

Old 04-25-2008, 05:44 PM
John

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 13:35 -0400, Jason Pyeron wrote:

> [...]

I don't know if your aware of this but "dd" will mark bad sectors on the
drive. Maybe that will help out. I am not sure if it can be done with
data on it!!!!!

> > --
> > Jeff
>

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> - -
> - Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
> - Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
> - +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
> - -
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
> have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
> notify the sender immediately. Any other use of the email by you
> is prohibited.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Dan Halbert

What is the most practical method to replace the hard drive?

Install another drive (same size or larger), boot from CD in rescue
mode and use the dd utility to copy the old drive image to the new
disk (example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb). However, the failing
hardware could make this problematic. Then remove the dying disk and
install the new disk on the cable where the old disk was so that the
new disk is now /dev/hda.

Tried this, I should have been more clear above. When I access certain
sectors the machine reboots.

Just to confirm: you mean the machine reboots even when this disk is not
a system disk? Suppose you mount it readonly (maybe it's doing atime
updates unsuccessfully?)?

If it's a peculiarity of the controller, you could try putting it in as
a data disk in another machine with a different kind of disk controller.
You could even put it in a Windows box and use one the various free
utilities to look at the Linux filesystem - perhaps that would not
exercise whatever issue is causing the reboots.

If you've gotten the vital data off and any customizations out of /etc,
the crontabs, etc., then if possible, maybe you could just do an
"rpm -q -a" to get the current package list, and then diff that against
the list you get on a fresh install to figure out what you need to add.

Dan

Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

Tried this, I should have been more clear above. When I access certain

sectors the machine reboots.

Ideas on how to do the duplication in this scenario?

Try using conv=noerror* with the dd command.

Alan.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM
John

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 13:35 -0400, Jason Pyeron wrote:

dd if=/dev/hda conv=sync,noerror Have you used the noerror option?
Boot with a live image mount the drive then mount the of=drive to copy
the data. Only other option I know of at the moment.

> > If you are lucky enough to succeed consider mirroring with Linux
> > software RAID or at least make a full backup.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff
>

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> - -
> - Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
> - Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
> - +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
> - -
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
> have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
> notify the sender immediately. Any other use of the email by you
> is prohibited.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-25-2008 10:35 AM Jason Pyeron spake the following:

[...]

Did you try ddrescue?
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

I am going to put it in a USB enclosure and follow the other advise here so
far. 1st try the noerror, etc.. then try the ddrecover

> If you've gotten the vital data off and any customizations out of /etc,
> the crontabs, etc., then if possible, maybe you could just do an
> "rpm -q -a" to get the current package list, and then diff that against
> the list you get on a fresh install to figure out what you need to add.

The issues is are there files outside of rpms which are needed but unknown?

The system has evolved from a pre rh7 box (was that ever fun)

> Dan

- -

Old 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM
"Jeff Larsen"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Dan Halbert <halbert@everyzing.com> wrote:

> > > Install another drive (same size or larger), boot from CD in rescue
> > > mode and use the dd utility to copy the old drive image to the new
> > > disk (example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb). However, the failing
> > > hardware could make this problematic. Then remove the dying disk and
> > > install the new disk on the cable where the old disk was so that the
> > > new disk is now /dev/hda.
> > >

> > Tried this, I should have been more clear above. When I access certain
> > sectors the machine reboots.
> >

> Just to confirm: you mean the machine reboots even when this disk is not a
> system disk? Suppose you mount it readonly (maybe it's doing atime updates
> unsuccessfully?)?

Why mount it at all? Booting from CentOS CD in rescue mode gives you
the option of not mounting the existing CentOS installation. dd does
not need mounted file systems. With the exception of possible IDE
conroller issues, booting from CD and not mounting is as good as
putting the disk in another machine.

--
Jeff