Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
John

Default vfs objects = recycle

[public]

vfs objects = recycle
recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
--------------------------------------
Just want to be clear if I use the vfs recycle option does
"recycle:repository = Recycle Bin" get put into the the public
directory? As I am having a problem with deleting files on a client and
then can't empty the trash because of permission problems. Will this
solve this issue or do I have problems elsewhere?

Keep in mind this is a mixed node network with windows and linux. I'm
taking pointers from any one with heavy samba experiance. As I am no
samba guy. Also pointers on clustering samba with DFS.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-25-2008 8:04 AM John spake the following:

[public]

vfs objects = recycle

recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
--------------------------------------
Just want to be clear if I use the vfs recycle option does
"recycle:repository = Recycle Bin" get put into the the public
directory? As I am having a problem with deleting files on a client and
then can't empty the trash because of permission problems. Will this
solve this issue or do I have problems elsewhere?

Keep in mind this is a mixed node network with windows and linux. I'm
taking pointers from any one with heavy samba experiance. As I am no
samba guy. Also pointers on clustering samba with DFS.

It gets put in the root of the share that you activate it in. I am not sure if
you can make it a global option, but maybe.

I'm not sure of what your issue is, when you say "empty the trash" do you mean
deleting files from "Recycle Bin"?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
John

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:13 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 4-25-2008 8:04 AM John spake the following:
> > [public]
> >
> > vfs objects = recycle
> > recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
> > --------------------------------------
> > Just want to be clear if I use the vfs recycle option does
> > "recycle:repository = Recycle Bin" get put into the the public
> > directory? As I am having a problem with deleting files on a client and
> > then can't empty the trash because of permission problems. Will this
> > solve this issue or do I have problems elsewhere?
> >
> > Keep in mind this is a mixed node network with windows and linux. I'm
> > taking pointers from any one with heavy samba experiance. As I am no
> > samba guy. Also pointers on clustering samba with DFS.
> >

> It gets put in the root of the share that you activate it in. I am not sure if
> you can make it a global option, but maybe.

That's where it gets put. After editing the conf file and putting the
option in.

> I'm not sure of what your issue is, when you say "empty the trash" do you mean
> deleting files from "Recycle Bin"?

Logged in as root on a linux client using share mode can't delete a file
or folder when made by root on the samba server in one of the shares.
That is using the user nobody. Would that be correct as user nobody only
can't delete file made by root n the samba server.

I suspect after really thinking about it I'll be much better of adding
the linux client to Active Directory and do all authentication that way
to solve everything. Then later on setup samba to serve the Windows user
profiles.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-25-2008 11:46 AM John spake the following:

[...]

I'm not on AD yet, hoping to put that bullet off for a while.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
"John"

John

on 4-25-2008 11:46 AM John spake the following:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:13 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 4-25-2008 8:04 AM John spake the following:
>>> [public]
>>>
>>> vfs objects = recycle
>>> recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
>>> --------------------------------------
>>> Just want to be clear if I use the vfs recycle option does
>>> "recycle:repository = Recycle Bin" get put into the the public
>>> directory? As I am having a problem with deleting files on a client
>>> and then can't empty the trash because of permission problems. Will
>>> this solve this issue or do I have problems elsewhere?
>>>
>>> Keep in mind this is a mixed node network with windows and linux.
>>> I'm taking pointers from any one with heavy samba experiance. As I
>>> am no samba guy. Also pointers on clustering samba with DFS.
>>>

>> It gets put in the root of the share that you activate it in. I am
>> not sure if you can make it a global option, but maybe.
>
> That's where it gets put. After editing the conf file and putting the
> option in.
>
>> I'm not sure of what your issue is, when you say "empty the trash" do
>> you mean deleting files from "Recycle Bin"?
>
> Logged in as root on a linux client using share mode can't delete a
> file or folder when made by root on the samba server in one of the shares.
> That is using the user nobody. Would that be correct as user nobody
> only can't delete file made by root n the samba server.
>
> I suspect after really thinking about it I'll be much better of adding
> the linux client to Active Directory and do all authentication that
> way to solve everything. Then later on setup samba to serve the
> Windows user profiles.

I'm not on AD yet, hoping to put that bullet off for a while.

I kinda Beg to differ on that bullet. MS Admins know Active Directory is
about the holey grail of authentication in corporate networking. Single Sign
Authentication says it all. I have reliazed I am spinning in the wind to
have two different auth mechanisms. My scope of view is automate any and
everything that can be. Consolodate services to save money (microsoft
licence fees) Means actually only two MS servers Primary and Secondary
Domain Controllers (PDC and BDC).

I left out LDAP Servers for a reason. Not so easy to use and setup versus
AD.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-28-2008 4:24 PM John spake the following:

John

[...]

Just postponing the learning to a less busy time. Maybe with some
experimentation time before going live.