Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
"Chris Mason (Lists)"

Default Networking help

I have a centos 4.0 box that has three network interfaces and is used as
router. It runs shorewall as a two-ISP firewall for a single LAN.
This morning, the motherboard's LAN interface gave trouble, spewing out
IRQ problems, so I disabled it and changed the network cards. As I only
had two slots, I tried a dual NIC card, but it crashed the system every
time.
Right now I am trying to fit two single NOCs in and to bring the machine
back up. However, I can;t get any traffic to route. The DHCP ADSL card
will not get an IP. I have used Kudzu to configure the new cards, turned
off Shorewall, but no matter what I do, teh cards can't talk to the WAN
or LAN. The ADSL is fine, my laptop gets and IP easily.

Any ideas what I need to look for?

believed to be clean.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Ray Leventhal

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
I have a centos 4.0 box that has three network interfaces and is used
as router. It runs shorewall as a two-ISP firewall for a single LAN.
This morning, the motherboard's LAN interface gave trouble, spewing
out IRQ problems, so I disabled it and changed the network cards. As I
only had two slots, I tried a dual NIC card, but it crashed the system
every time.
Right now I am trying to fit two single NOCs in and to bring the
machine back up. However, I can;t get any traffic to route. The DHCP
ADSL card will not get an IP. I have used Kudzu to configure the new
cards, turned off Shorewall, but no matter what I do, teh cards can't
talk to the WAN or LAN. The ADSL is fine, my laptop gets and IP easily.

Any ideas what I need to look for?

Hi Chris,

I'm no expert, but I'd be the HWADDR values in your
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-ethx files need to be updated to reflect the new
MAC addresses of the physical interfaces in the box.

HTH,
-Ray

Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 PM
"Chris Mason (Lists)"

Ray Leventhal wrote:

I'm no expert, but I'd be the HWADDR values in your
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-ethx files need to be updated to reflect the new
MAC addresses of the physical interfaces in the box.

Done that. The ifcfg-ethX is referencing the right interfaces.

believed to be clean.