Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 PM
MHR

Default Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

I'm running FC8 with Gnome 2.20.0 at work and I have this interesting situation.

I have two disks on the system that are both configured to be mounted
in /etc/fstab, but I'm seeing two things I believe are strange.

One is that the second drive is not getting mounted at boot time.

The other is that I see two icons for the disk on my desktop - one
with the mount point of the drive, the other with the labvel, and they
both refer to the same drive (but, e.g., if I use one icon to umount
the drive, the other icon does not go away - this is secondary).

Suggestions welcome. Here is my /etc/fstab:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
LABEL=/misc /misc ext3 defaults 1 2

The drive that is misbehaving is /misc.

This is (more or less) my first experience with FC, so have mercy. :-)

Thanks.

mhr

Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

MHR wrote:

> I'm running FC8 with Gnome 2.20.0 at work and I have this
> interesting situation.
>
> I have two disks on the system that are both configured to be mounted
> in /etc/fstab, but I'm seeing two things I believe are strange.
>
> One is that the second drive is not getting mounted at boot time.
>
> The other is that I see two icons for the disk on my desktop - one
> with the mount point of the drive, the other with the labvel, and they
> both refer to the same drive (but, e.g., if I use one icon to umount
> the drive, the other icon does not go away - this is secondary).
>
> Suggestions welcome. Here is my /etc/fstab:
>
> LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
> LABEL=/misc /misc ext3 defaults 1 2
>
> The drive that is misbehaving is /misc.
>
> This is (more or less) my first experience with FC, so have
> mercy. :-)

Slightly OT?

Only way it could be more OT is if this were a Mac OS X or
Windows forum... ;-)

I suggest, forgoing disk labels...

-Ross

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 PM
MHR

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Ross S. W. Walker
<rwalker@medallion.com> wrote:

> Slightly OT?
>
> Only way it could be more OT is if this were a Mac OS X or
> Windows forum... ;-)

You mean "slightly" isn't a synonym for "way?" :-)

> I suggest, forgoing disk labels...

I umounted the drive, changed /etc/fstab not to use the label, removed
the /dev/disk/by-label symlink and now I get one icon with the name
/misc.

That looks right, so I'll go with it. Thanks!

mhr

Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:06 -0700, MHR wrote:
> I'm running FC8 with Gnome 2.20.0 at work and I have this interesting situation.
>
> I have two disks on the system that are both configured to be mounted
> in /etc/fstab, but I'm seeing two things I believe are strange.
>
> One is that the second drive is not getting mounted at boot time.
>
> The other is that I see two icons for the disk on my desktop - one
> with the mount point of the drive, the other with the labvel, and they
> both refer to the same drive (but, e.g., if I use one icon to umount
> the drive, the other icon does not go away - this is secondary).
>
> Suggestions welcome. Here is my /etc/fstab:
>
> LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
> LABEL=/misc /misc ext3 defaults 1 2
>
> The drive that is misbehaving is /misc.
>
> This is (more or less) my first experience with FC, so have mercy. :-)

I see that you have solved. If for some reason you wish to keep both
definitions (there may be reasons), just add "noauto" (no quotes) to one
or both of the entries. This might be useful when you want to mount a
different volume, e.g. as a "temp" mount for backup or copy purposes.
This is handy when you have, e.g., a couple identical looking external
usb drives that are used for different purposes on multiple machines.

With "label" and "noauto", it keeps me from accidentally mounting the
wrong one. No, external labels won't do - purposes change frequently.

> Thanks.
>
> mhr
> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM
MHR

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:36 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> I see that you have solved. If for some reason you wish to keep both
> definitions (there may be reasons), just add "noauto" (no quotes) to one
> or both of the entries. This might be useful when you want to mount a
> different volume, e.g. as a "temp" mount for backup or copy purposes.
> This is handy when you have, e.g., a couple identical looking external
> usb drives that are used for different purposes on multiple machines.
>
> With "label" and "noauto", it keeps me from accidentally mounting the
> wrong one. No, external labels won't do - purposes change frequently.

I'm not sure I understand this - there are no duplicate entries in
fstab, and the /misc volume does not automount during the boot, or
didn't the last time I booted the machine.

The problem is that I still have two icons on the desktop for a single
mounted disk.

?????

If I want to get rid of the label, how do I do that? 'man e2label'
doesn't say how to delete an existing label....

Thanks.

mhr

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

MHR wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:36 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > I see that you have solved. If for some reason you wish to keep both
> > definitions (there may be reasons), just add "noauto" (no quotes) to one
> > or both of the entries. This might be useful when you want to mount a
> > different volume, e.g. as a "temp" mount for backup or copy purposes.
> > This is handy when you have, e.g., a couple identical looking external
> > usb drives that are used for different purposes on multiple machines.
> >
> > With "label" and "noauto", it keeps me from accidentally mounting the
> > wrong one. No, external labels won't do - purposes change frequently.
> >

> I'm not sure I understand this - there are no duplicate entries in
> fstab, and the /misc volume does not automount during the boot, or
> didn't the last time I booted the machine.
>
> The problem is that I still have two icons on the desktop for a single
> mounted disk.
>
> ?????
>
> If I want to get rid of the label, how do I do that? 'man e2label'
> doesn't say how to delete an existing label....

tune2fs -L "" /dev/XXX

-Ross

Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 13:52 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:36 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > I see that you have solved. If for some reason you wish to keep both
> > definitions (there may be reasons), just add "noauto" (no quotes) to one
> > or both of the entries. This might be useful when you want to mount a
> > different volume, e.g. as a "temp" mount for backup or copy purposes.
> > This is handy when you have, e.g., a couple identical looking external
> > usb drives that are used for different purposes on multiple machines.
> >
> > With "label" and "noauto", it keeps me from accidentally mounting the
> > wrong one. No, external labels won't do - purposes change frequently.
> >

> I'm not sure I understand this - there are no duplicate entries in
> fstab, and the /misc volume does not automount during the boot, or
> didn't the last time I booted the machine.

The entry in fstab will mount automatically unless noauto is specified.
With HAL, UDEV et al active on your system, it is safe to assume that
one of them is "mounting" the device. At the time X starts, devices that
are handled via this facility will be made available to the user of the
desktop (and "ownership" is assigned to that user too IIUC). I don't
recall seeing noauto in your fstab entry.

Before logging on via X, switch to a vt and type mount. You'll probably
see the device already mounted. Then after you log in via X, do "mount"
again. I expect you'll see two mounts on the device.

> The problem is that I still have two icons on the desktop for a single
> mounted disk.

AFAIK, that is not a problem except to the "wetware". The system is
perfectly happy with it. See "man mount" and look for "bind" to see
evidence of this.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the desktop, but I think Gnome has some
stuff it starts up that comminucates with HAL or udev to locate
removable devices and make them available on the desktop. This goes
beyond mount, IIUC. Witness a CD or DVD that is a video or music media.
It has no file system, as we understand it, and can't be formally
mounted. I *think* that's correct. Those devices should get accessed
through the raw device interfaces.

Maybe Gnome has some preferences about this?

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
MHR

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Ross S. W. Walker
<rwalker@medallion.com> wrote:

> tune2fs -L "" /dev/XXX

Thank you!

mhr

Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Title: Re: [CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

Boot and root should be ok, but misc is probably causing problems with file

managers querying fstab and hal.

-Ross

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Ross S. W. Walker

<rwalker@medallion.com> wrote:

>* tune2fs -L "" /dev/XXX

Thank you!

mhr

Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
MHR

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Ross S. W. Walker
<rwalker@medallion.com> wrote:

> Boot and root should be ok, but misc is probably causing problems with file
> managers querying fstab and hal.
>
> -Ross

Must be something like that - if I su and umount it, both icons go
away. Then I 'mount -a' and only one comes back. But if I log out
and log back in, they both come back. Must a new "feature" of gnome
2.20.0....

mhr